• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj will not stay running

rdnkfam

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys i just logged on about two weeks ago but i have had my xj for about six years now. its a 90 xj four door, 4.o . the prob is i start the rig it will rev up 1500rpm and then die and will do the same again and again. where should i start. please help i have not driven the rig since last sept.

rdnkfam said:
ok guys i just logged on about two weeks ago but i have had my xj for about six years now. its a 90 xj four door, 4.o . the prob is i start the rig it will rev up 1500rpm and then die and will do the same again and again. where should i start. please help i have not driven the rig since last sept.

See if holding your foot on the gas keeps it from dying, and let us know if still dies.

Search this forum and read up on the IAC, Idle Air Controller, and the TPS, Throttle Possition Sensor, both are mounted on the front of the throttle body. Do not search three letter accronyms they do not work in the search engine, use the words. Also search some other terms like high idle, ReniX Files, you will find a lot of troubleshooting help in those threads on your problem.

First thoughts are the TPS may be bad (high probability).

Try disconnecting the TPS connector, start the jeep and if it does not die, just replace the TPS. It is an easy do it yourself job.

A start then die symptom can also be a defective fuel pump ballast resistor.

old_man said:
A start then die symptom can also be a defective fuel pump ballast resistor.

X2 - bypass the ballast and see if it stays running. The ballast is a white block with 2 wires going to it, mounted on the drivers side of the engine bay, by the airbox.

SimpleXJ

thanks guys that great keep them come. and yes i started the rig and heald the the gas to the floor and the rig dies. i do have a fuel pump coming. i will be changeing the egr,i have chang the fuel filter. i have been told to check the timming on it. thanks again guys. o ya i do have a three inch snorkel on it

Timing on XJ's is not adjustable. Check the ballast before you throw a fuel pump at it - it's easy to check. A harbor freight fuel pressure guage is $14.99 - way cheaper than a fuel pump and will tell you if there is a problem. If you KNOW the pump is bad though, ignore what I just said :D

Regards,

SimpleXJ

Balast resistor fixed mine. Do you hear the fuel pump running? If not could be it. I couldn't find one with the same resistance as stock, bought one from the dealer.#33000682. I had replaced it with one from O'reilly's last year and it didn't hold up.

Did you try disconnecting the TPS before starting it, and then hold the gas peddle at 1/6th of WOT? If it still dies then it I would check the fuel pressure and ballast resistor.

ok guys i got to work on the rig for a sec tonight i jumped it and was not starting so i pulled the two wires on the ballast resistor and one was all full of crap. cleaned it and the rig stayed running by it's self no prob now iam happy not. now the real prob is that when i go wot it will boog down to 1,000 rpm's and just start back firing through the snorkel. what should i be looking four now. please help i just wont to go wheeling

I had similar symptoms as you and discovered I had a clogged catalytic converter. I had my wife start my Jeep and I held my hand close to the tailpipe and noticed there was hardly any exhaust pressure. I removed my cat and realised it was over 90% clogged. Good luck.

rdnkfam said:
ok guys i got to work on the rig for a sec tonight i jumped it and was not starting so i pulled the two wires on the ballast resistor and one was all full of crap. cleaned it and the rig stayed running by it's self no prob now iam happy not. now the real prob is that when i go wot it will boog down to 1,000 rpm's and just start back firing through the snorkel. what should i be looking four now. please help i just wont to go wheeling

Still sounds like a bad TPS, Throttle Position Sensor. Search "ReniX Files Throttle Position Sensor" for details, tests, etc.

Back