• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New, first project XJ, where to start

bl87xj

NAXJA Forum User
1988, 4.0 Auto. Just picked it up for $700. Made the 60+ mile drive home no issues. Doesn't seem to have any issues that any other 19 year old car might have. So here is my plan (in order) to start improving my reliability confidence. The car is going to be used for a daily school/beach runner for my kid.

I am not a mechanic, so any input on the following items is very helpful.

#1: Cooling system.
It ran very consistent to the left of the 210 mark on the freeway, and didn't climb much in traffic. There is a crack in the surge tank that hisses. I don't want to do any conversions or upgrades until I know better what suits me. My plan is to take it to the local lube/tune place that has treated me pretty good in the past and have them do a flush, pressure check, replace the surge tank with a stock plastic one and fill the system.

#2: Power steering:
There is a bit of a whine in the steering as the car warms up. The fluid is a bit low and there seems to be leaking from the pump. I am thinking the lube/tune place can handle this, check for leaks and possibly change out the pump. Do you flush and refill power steering systems?

#3: Clean up/degrease:
The XJ has been sitting in my driveway for 24 hrs. Not a drop on the driveway. But there is some grime and build up, signs of past leaks and/or seepage. I would like to clean it all up so that I can keep an eye on things and identify any problems. What is the best way to clean an engine/drive line of built up grease and grime?

#4: Flush and fill fluids:
Just for a fresh start. I figure the lube and tune can also handle this: Cooling in #1, Power steering in #2, Oil, Transmission, Transfer case, Diffs.

I got some other, more fun stuff in mind, but I want to get this thing reasonably reliable before I move into that phase.

#1: Cooling system
Check/replace the hoses. Check water pump for leaks.

#2: Power steering:
Fill to correct level. Whine will probably go away. You can flush/refill. If it's not leaking too badly - I'd just leave it. I think they all eventually leak.

#3: Clean up/degrease:
Always nice to do. I'd take a can or two of engine degreaser to my local do it yourself car wash. Soak the engine bay with the stuff, then use high pressure sprayer to clean. Keep the high pressure sprayer away from critical parts, distributors, etc.

#4: Flush and fill fluids:
Good idea.

Make sure you go to a RELIABLE shop. If they see you with the above laundry list, they are going to see $$$$$$$$$$. I would try to do as much of this yourself to save that $$$ and know the job was done right.

As far as reliability, I would give the usual drive train parts the once over -- bearings, u-joints, tie rods, ball joints, etc.

BUT, most importantly -- Check the brakes!. Especially things like worn out rubber hoses. I think this would be number one for me. Other things could leave you on the side of the road, but I'd rather not be in the trunk of the guy in front of me....

Update to 88

O.K. tell me if I am wrong. I tinkered around today.

Cooling system:
Yeah the surge tank has a bit of a crack slightly hisses, but it holds pressure. I turned the engine on, added coolant, opened the cap, I could see only clean coolant flowing through the tank. So, I think I will replace the tank and forego the flush out unless I notice some high temps. All the hoses, connections, etc. seem fine. Water pump has no sign of leakage. I am going to get a new tank and see how things go from there.

Power steering:
Added fluid recommended for older cars from Auto Zone. Whine is gone, will keep an eye on levels. Existing fluid seemed clean so I think I will just keep an eye on the level and signs of leaks and let it go for now.

Clean/degrease:
Probably do that next weekend, still a bit concerned about hitting the motor with water, but will be careful. I crawled around a bit today, seems the biggest mess is from the power steering area and oil filter area. A very slight drip from the oil drain plug and some yet to identified mess a little farther back. Hopefully not the main seal, seems like careless tranny or t-case service residue.

Fluids:
Tranny fluid levels are good and the fluid seem real clean. I think I will let this go for the mean time to make sure there are not other issue. I think I will takle the diffs, t-case and tranny fluid on my own, just need to find a clean way to handle the fluids at home.

I crawled around underneath, everything look pretty solid. It only has 150K miles, break lines and connections look good, drive line and suspension don't look too bad, I have a lift in the future so that will take care of some issues.

Everything looks pretty good. Considering our intended use will be less than 10 miles a day for the next three years, we should be able to sort things out in due time.

bottle from quadratec $25 hissing is not holding pressure
oil filter area there are two O-rings in the oil boss probably turned into hard plastic by now.
Little known piece that will leave you stranded is in the gas tank 4" piece of fuel line that connects pump to fuel line assy. sitting in gas for 19 years good idea to change, also a good time to add fuel capaticity by changing direction of vent line higher in tank.

Back