• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Spiking?!

Eagle87

NAXJA Forum User

I have only noticed this within the last month, and I have done some research but haven't been able to pinpoint a cause. When I turn on my Jeep ('91), the oil pressure gague spikes to about 60psi. At crusing speed it will sit at between 40 and 60, but during acceleration it spikes back up to 60 again. I'm not sure if its a faulty sender unit or possibly something a little more mechanical. Any input will be appreciated.

If the oil pressure only goes as high as 60psi, you have no reason to worry. It's normal for the oil pressure to be higher when the engine's cold and when running at higher rpm. If you're holding the engine at the same rpm, the oil pressure reading should be steady. If it spikes, you probably have a bad gauge sending unit.

Let me ammend my original post: It jumps to 60 when cranked up, and will remain there until the engine heats up. Then it lingers around 60 during driving and only drops down to about 40 durring decel. and at a stop. Basically whenever the engine is idling. I suppose this is normal then?

sounds about right to me. Mine says about 70 at a cold idle, drops to 30 wamr idle, 40 at cruise, 50-60 at higher RPM.

That's somewhat higher than usual, but within normal range. My 95, with 260K miles, gives similar readings. You could check it against a mechanical gauge if you're worried, but I would guess that it's just a gauge or sender inaccuracy. As long as it's predictable and clearly still functioning, you can still use the gauge reading to spot alarming changes, so I wouldn't worry.

Eagle87 said:

I have only noticed this within the last month, and I have done some research but haven't been able to pinpoint a cause. When I turn on my Jeep ('91), the oil pressure gague spikes to about 60psi. At crusing speed it will sit at between 40 and 60, but during acceleration it spikes back up to 60 again. I'm not sure if its a faulty sender unit or possibly something a little more mechanical. Any input will be appreciated.

Sounds OK to me but you could just replace the gauge sending unit and if this doesn't make any difference, you'll have a good old sending unit as a spare.

also on mine it was doing the same but actualy going past 80psi at times, I just replaced the oil pressure switch (like 10$ at kragen) and it showed a perfect 40-60psi. the thin film used on the oil switch gets old and weathered and gets stuck in the "max" possition where it reads 80+psi.

Back