• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHOCK MOUNT HEIGHTS

RaceRunner

NAXJA Forum User
Can somone please shed some light on how to work out what height I need mount shocks into my truck to gain maximum travel? At the moment the axles are bare without any brackets and my chassis is the same.

Do I make up some shock hoops and brackets on the axles as rough guess and then ramp the vehicle to see clearances etc?? Is there some sort of basic rule to working out shock hoop heights??

Any feed back would be great!!

First off shock hoops and shock mounts are different. To me shock hoops mean you are looking toextend the shock through the floor for a possible coil over application. Shock mounts are just locating tabs on the axle.
For shock mounts I used 2 inch 1/4wall square tube cut and drilled for the shock end to fit. I mounted the shock at the top and used the inherent angle of the shock to set the axle location. I put my mounts mid axle. I used a 10inch shock. It ended up being to long, I change them to 8 inch shocks.

As a reference, I have 6.5 inch spring packs and 1.5 inch shackles. With the D-44 and stock shock mount locations I ran a 12in rear shock for my flex setup. With the 9 inch installed and shock mounts mid tube I use and 8 inch rear shock.

Thanks for your reply, I understand about installing shock mounts on my axles, just wanted to know about what height I need to make my shock hoops? Where is my starting point? Do I take aguess as to the height of my hoops?

Without any springs to limit you, raise your axle until you find the upper limit of travel. Measure the distance from the axle to were ever you want to mount your shock, or Take your chosen shock and hold it in place. Where it needs to be attached will be obvious :) That's your starting point.

check out cross enterprise.com , they make an awesome shock hoop, that mount in place of the rear swaybar. im running 10" short body bilstein 7100. with 8.8, and 5.5 tnt y link lift

Your web site is for car rentals.

Dont know if this is a possibility but look at Ballastic Fab, they have mounts that combine LCA's, Shock, and Spring buckets...

Also I'd wait until you vehicle is at ride height sitting on it's springs before ordering shocks.... and like Daffy said unless your looking to coil over a shock hoop through the floor or engine bay really isnt needed... If you want eye-eye shocks you can buy a JKS shock conversion... much more shock options out there in that config..

EDIT: IT's www.crossenterprises.com and that mount isnt really a shock hoop IMO, its more of an x-over shock mount..... Also I really dont like the idea of both shocks relocated to the back of the axle. Seems like it would allow for more axle wrap... And I definetly wouldnt mount coilovers to it or anything...

Last edited:
Back