• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help; outer track bar bolts

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
the tracbar bolts on the fenderwell are just spinning... I can tighten them slightly but cannot torque them correctly. I assume the nutserts are lost so what do I do?

There is a nut on the other end of the bolt. Just put a wrench on it and you should be all set.

My '88 had nutserts for the bottom, inside track bar mount. They broke loose, just as you describe. I had pulled my engine before dealing with the problem, so I don't know if the engine is in the way, but I think the stock motor mounts are. You need to remove the nutserts, and if there's room to put a wrench in there, just replace with regular grade-8 nuts.

The ones in the fender well use nuts, not nutserts. You should remove the aircleaner box to get easier access to them.

You can see them on top of the frame rail. You may be able to slip a wrench on them without pulling the airbox but I had trouble keeping in on with the box in the way.

Back