• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting to electic fan, have a few ???

millertime

NAXJA Forum User
I found a 12" electric fan that pulls 3000cfm, wich seems perfect to me. Its also only 3 3/4" thick so it should fit just fine, but what im wondering is those of you who have put in electric fans did you wire them in so you flip a switch to turn them on or have a t-stat type sensor to make them run?

thanks for any help,
-Jesse

Have it wired through the ECU controlled sensor ( relay trigged by the power wire going to the stock one ) and a manual over ride for both on and off for both.
See my site on how to wire it. www.go.jeep-xj.info

I am using a hayden adjustable thermostat, it comes with a manual overide and a second non-adjustable output (preset @ something, don't remember). It works great and isn't too expensive. I paid a hair less than $35 after tax for mine.

For my fan, I had to pull the mechanical fan's pully, shaft, and re-route the belt just to be on the safe side.

It is all on a 2K w/12 Permacool finger chopper.
HTH

Thanks for the help everybody!

the fan is actually 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" wide, Thickness is 3-3/4", Motor RPM: 2100, Amp Draw: 8, CFM: 3000 right off of jegs site. its $99. figured it was a pretty good deal.

Ill let you guys know how it works when i get it in,
-Jesse

Thanks for the help everbody!

here is the info on the fan: 12-1/2" x 12-1/2" wide, Thickness: 3-3/4" Motor RPM: 2100, Amp Draw: 8, CFM: 3000. figured it should work just fine. best part is its only $99. oh btw its a permacool fan

Ill let you know how it works when i get it in.
-Jesse

Shouldn't it come on before the aux stock fan?

The aux stock fan starts to come on when the engine temp gets a little too warm....

I'd think you wouldn't want the main electric fan turning on that late.

Perhaps around 210-212 degrees or so?

Stock aux. e-fan turns on at 218-220 right?

Last edited:
If it replaces the mec fan then it should come on long before the aux fan. The fan is needed to keep under hood temps down. This can be very important in stop and go as well as times of high stress and low speeds often encountered when offing.
As posted before it can be on at all times. But this may slow warm-up. Important if you live were it gets cold. Besides placing an additional load on the alt.
A manual switch is simple and cheep. Just turn it on as the temp gets up to 120~150 or so. But DON'T forget to turn it on. The aux fan sure can't handle the load on it's own. That's if you have an aux fan. Also don't forget to inform anyone else driving that Cherokee about the fan switch.
A switch with a relay mounted near the battery to insure Max voltage to the fan for so the fan can deliver Max cooling air.
A switch a relay and sensor. Give Max flexibility when wired as on/auto/off.
The (ON) possession can supply voltage to the coil of the relay just bypassing the sensor.
The switch can also bypass the sensor and relay and carry the full load to the fan. (very heavy duty switch and wire for this) The fan will not see as much voltage this way but a little slower fan is better then no fan at all. As when the relay burns out.
The (AUTO) possession. A sensor, relay takes full control of the fan.
The (OFF) possession. Good for water crossing.

Last edited:
Been running with both fans controlled by the ECU for 4 years now without any problems at all. Works really well setup that way.

I have been thinking about doing this mod for a while, but I have been getting mixed reviews. I was thinking of getting a twin fan setup run one with the factory ecm controls, and wire the second in on another thermostat/manual switch. What I was looking at summitracing.com is the derale twin fan setup the PN is DER-16928, it pulls 4000 cfm I assume that is between the two fans, but the only thing that concerns me is the 50A draw. Is that about right for two 13" fans running at the same time? I have been eyeing this setup for a while and I would like to know if that is an acceptable amount of draw? I know that one will run with the a/c and the other just ocassionally...is it safe? I was wanting to do this with my 4.7L stroker that I am piecing together at the moment.

Linky action time http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER-16928&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Gojeep said:
Been running with both fans controlled by the ECU for 4 years now without any problems at all. Works really well setup that way.

How do you hook it up to use the ECU to control the fans? Am I just being too lazy by not looking your site over first?

Back