• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Failed TPS sensor symptoms

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have started this thread with the idea of getting everyone who has ever had a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) sensor fail, to post the symptoms they had that went away when the TPS sensor was replaced.

In my case it was low engine power between 1/2 throttle and WOT (Wide Open Throttle), and no transmission kick down at WOT, and up shifting at 1800 to 2200 RPM even at WOT. It ran like it had a 4 banger with about 65 HP engine. It just had no get up and go, except in first from a dead stop, then it had power until it shifted into 2nd gear at about 12 (?) mph and 1800 rpm.

In my case, a new TPS solved all these problems! Now it runs like a bat out of hell, like a new JEEP!

So what is your defective, worn out TPS story. Rough idle, high idle, variable idle speed, cuts out at certain TPS possitions and dies or nearly dies???? So let's hear your gruesom :tear:, :flame:, :bawl:sad, hard to diagnosis TPS story!:cheers:

I've had more than few that pop to mind.
First was an 87, at about 1/3 rd throttle you could feel the timing go screwy, ECU side of the double TPS, had a dead spot.
The TPS I have in there now is a little out of spec. (compared to the last one) The resistance is a little high. It's costing me some noticeable fuel mileage.
Another was your classic 2500 RPM idle right after a motor wash. Even though I was careful.
Left the ECU side (three pole) connector diconnected once, stalled at low RPM's, noticeable power loss.
I had variable shift points, seemed to have a mind of it's own. Turned out mostly to be WD-40 in the connector. At the same time I checked the harness all the way to the dipstick for resistance in the TPS/TCU ground circuit.
Found another harness problem, the TPS ground for the ECU half of the TPS, had a wiggle connection at the MAT, Engine Temp, and TPS ground splice to the ECU. It would vary from 1.2 to 61 ohms.
In my experience about half the time, the problem is resistance in the connectors, ground rings or wiring.
I pound my XJ, fairly hard on farm roads and splash a fair amount of mud into the engine bay. Loose connections and connector corrosion (from mud or high pressure water from cleanup) are pretty much a constant problem to some degree.

I have a dead range in my 98, have not replaced it yet because I don't notice it unless I am merging or accelerating into traffic, the pedal has to go to the floor, if I do it halfway it goes gutless for 5 or 7 seconds then comes on like gangbusters. No errors on the scanner either but it behaves like it did on my sons 97TJ only on his it fired a CEL every once in a while that would go out.

It's on my list but one of the TJ's is eating all my extra money right now as it goes up.

Back