• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A word to the wise about CPS's

tarheel99

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of years ago I saw some advice on this forum that it was prudent to do a pre-imptave strike on CPS's and just replace them at 70,000 miles. Fast forward to yesterday. My 99 that had always started on about the 2nd revolution died in my driveway - crank and crank and not a lick of spark. Had it towed to the dealer ($69 dollars). Diagnosis - bad CPS (Parts $112, labor $172). Milage <70,086>!! The moral of the story? Listen to the gurus on this forum....

Wow, usually a CPS won't just die like that....my last one that went out slowly died over the course of a week. Now that I know the symptoms, as soon as I see it happening again (in another 65,000 or so miles) i'll know exactly what it is.

You sure got raped on the labor charge. Took me about 30 or so minutes to change mine out....2000XJ, AW4...

mine died at 80090 on the odometer (81xxx actually, stock speedo gear). guess I was lucky. NAPA loves seeing me walk through the door... lol

Mine didn't die but out of frustration I had mine changed because of a intermiten miss that almost drove me crazy for about 20000 miles. I finally replaced it with 105,000 on the clock

Back