• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'88 Cherokee cruise control

cygnus58

NAXJA Forum User
Am trying to fix some things the idiot b4 me messed up.
I swapped ECU, Cruise module and have a spare Vacuum/throttle unit.
Then found the wires were cut off the brake switch, one terminal is hot always, and one switched hot w/brake pedal.
I repaired the wires, now I don't know which wire (blue/white or pink should be the switched 12v with pedal. They could have reversed the plug as it is not keyed.
Does anyone know which is hot always, and which is switched?
Under the hood, the connector to the actual throttle unit has 12 on the center side of the plug with 3 wires, dropping to about 1 volt with the unit attatched to the harness. (2 separate units do this) Of course if I have to, i'll just try it both ways. I'm certain no damage will be done as the wires are either one, or both hot anyway, depending on brake switch..
Also, the small hose (which runs all the way around the front of the engine compartment to I don't know where) had a little vacuum on it but the larger one which seems to enter the interior near the sterring column had none.

Last edited:
there is also a switch very high on the brake pedal that grounds a wire when the brake is released, and ungrounds when brake is applied hard..
not related i'm sure, but can't find out what it is anywhere.

cygnus58 said:
there is also a switch very high on the brake pedal that grounds a wire when the brake is released, and ungrounds when brake is applied hard..
not related i'm sure, but can't find out what it is anywhere.
My brake light switch wire has residual voltage on it after I release the brakes.

I noticed it checking TCU voltages on mine since the TCU monitors the brake light switch for a brake signal to the TCU also. Maybe that extra switch is what grounds that excess voltage. I did not know there was another switch there, I will need to look into that further.:thumbup:

Please do see if yours has that switch. Enclosed in a white plastic housing....
I found (hopefull the only) problem with the cruise.
The wires into the turn signal arm for on/set/resume were half broke at the area where they come out of the arm and trail down into the steering column. I pissed around tonite replacing them with wires from a bad PC mouse. The assembly needed to be shortened , to get the splined shaft from the plastic knob area containing the switches and good wiring.. Haven't really had out the JB weld for quite some time....If it doesn't work, back to the Uncle's '89 to pull that arm hoping no year changes were made....
The only forseeable problem now is the damn squirt/wash tab slot for the cruise wires to live in..

Last edited:
Sorry Ecomike, I forgot to mention, that switch has what appears to be a large vacuum hose where the one going from the cruise servo comes thru the firewall on it. Seems to be exactly where the one from the servo ends up???? Maybe it's a release valve.
there are 3 cruise module pins labeled "valve".
charge valve control
vent valve control
valve common

Last edited:
cygnus58 said:
found on another site , called "vent valve" on brake pedal...

So it is pneumatic and not electrical, or both?

I believe it's a second way to stop the CC. It vents the vacuum from it.
I replaced the turn signal arm and now have all correct voltages on the control module.
Of course, that would be too easy.
Still doesn't work.
Next i will see if there is a pulse on the speed sensor pins...

No pics, sorry.
I did get it working.
Seems when I got all the extra parts from my Uncle's '89, I swapped the Cruise module first, and after replacing the turn signal arm, I tried my Cruise module, and IT WORKS AWESOME!!
His had a bad module, and mine had broken on/resume wiring.

Back