• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear D44 outer axle, wheel bearings

zacattack

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing outer axles seals on an XJ D44. I know about cutting off the old bearing and pressing on the new one, but I'm not sure what to do with the race pressed into the axle tube. How do I remove the race or whatever the bearing rides on that is pressed into the axle tube? (I assume this needs to be done) Thanks a bunch!

If you don't know and the bearing race looks smooth with no pits or grooves in it then leave it and just put in your new seal. If you need to get the bearing race out of the tube you may need a way to heat the tube end and use a slide hamer with a race puller to pull it out. You can try pry bar that will fit behind the race and then tap it out. Somtimes they almost fall out and somtimes you need to heat the tube to expanded it to get the race out. Go to nappa and ask for a piece of muffler pipe 4 " long that is the same diameter as the race so you can use it as a race driver. They are hard steel and can break or worse shatter chips in your eyes so allways protect your eyes when pulling and installing races.

great! thanks. So I assume just use the pipe and a BFH to pound the new one in?

zacattack said:
great! thanks. So I assume just use the pipe and a BFH to pound the new one in?
Right. On a Scout 44 I did I had to grind down the pipe just a little to get it to fit nice then I marked it as a 44 tool to save.

Back