• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 transfer case rear output seal adventure

tommyr

NAXJA Forum User
Just got finished changing the rear output shaft seal on my '01's 242 transfer case. What an experience finding the right seal. The ONLY place that was able to FINALLY come up with the right part was NAPA. After checking about half a dozen seals on the shelf the parts guy had a 'help' number he called. They told him to try seal number 18108. This turned out to be the correct one. The original one (which shows on thier web site) was 18758. Wrong one. I tried several other auto parts stores and not one of them was able to cross reference the NAPA# 18108 to anything they had. Even after pulling out the book (BCA seals) they had no listing for that year transfer case seal; Although they did have a listing for the rear output shaft bearing.

What I learned (along with others' advice):

1) When removing the drive shaft, carefully remove JUST the front band that is holding the bellows. Use a zip tie in it's place to secure it when finished.

2) Follow others' advice and chisel off the slinger and get a new one from the dealer for about $5.00 PN: 05016615AA

3) Seal gets tapped in with a light hammer. No need for any fancy installers. To install the new slinger, I used a piece of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe over the output shaft and whacked on it with a dead blow hammer. Put T/C in neutral so you can spin the output shaft and make sure the slinger is going on straight. Be sure not to whack it on too far though, or it will scrape against the T/C

4) As long as you have the drive shaft out, change the u-joints.

5) Splines on output shaft had almost no grease on them, I read (here I think) to put anti sieze on them before re-installing (which I did)

Hope this saves anyone else with a '01 & a 242 T/C some trouble

very odd-- the numbers are either cataloged backwards, or your TC is installed backwards (joke) The SKF number 18108 is listed as the front seal for the NP242 and the 18758 is listed as the rear. I'll dig a little deeper at woek today and see if I can come up with a BCA number for both and post for others if I can.

I just wish that after an adventure like that, there was someone in the parts business that you could talk to that could straighten out all the databases and parts books. To be sure, mistakes like that will be made, but it would be nice to be able to get the bad info changed.

i laugh every time someone comes in my parts store with a seal that they "can't find". if the stupid fawking morons they went to knew how to crack open a seal book and use a pair of dial calipers they'd find out they have a lot of seals they didn't know about. it makes me wonder if half the counter guys out there even know what a parts catalog or interchange guide is.

"well this is what it shows in the computer" <- phrase makes me sick

sorry i had a long day at work and felt like ranting.

XgeekstarX said:
i laugh every time someone comes in my parts store with a seal that they "can't find". if the stupid fawking morons they went to knew how to crack open a seal book and use a pair of dial calipers they'd find out they have a lot of seals they didn't know about. it makes me wonder if half the counter guys out there even know what a parts catalog or interchange guide is.

"well this is what it shows in the computer" <- phrase makes me sick

sorry i had a long day at work and felt like ranting.

X2^ I wasn't able to do the leg work today as it was a really long day (notice the 16hrs between posts) but I'll hop on it tomorrow and see what I can find for a possible BCA cross.

I wish more people in the business would take the time to contact the manufacturers when they find discrepancies-- you can get a lot of them fixed with a phone call, but the catalog updates are often slow to come on older vehicles.

--Shorty

Shorty said:
X2^ I wasn't able to do the leg work today as it was a really long day (notice the 16hrs between posts) but I'll hop on it tomorrow and see what I can find for a possible BCA cross.

I wish more people in the business would take the time to contact the manufacturers when they find discrepancies-- you can get a lot of them fixed with a phone call, but the catalog updates are often slow to come on older vehicles.

--Shorty

my bca/national books have so many crossed out and rewritten part numbers. say a guy needs a cam seal for a lexus.. book shows the wrong one so i measure the seal and get him the right one. i then go back into the book and make a little note with the right number next to it.

call 'em and tell 'em what you found-- they will research it and change anything that's wrong-- if you do it every time you find a problem, you can help all of us get reliable info-- provided you reorder new catalogs when they're available:callme: I know I feel like I'm fighting battles that I shouldn't have to, but in the intrest of getting it right next time, I make the call this time.

--Shorty

P.S. I used to just make notes also, but I found that I was just making myself irreplaceable on the counter 'cuz without MY books, there wasn't any useable info for others. Everyone would just call me to see if I could find what was wrong. This is job security, but promotion would leave a void that would be tough to fill. Help fix the catalogging and you're available for promotion!:rof:

Back