• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damn my Jeep is wearing out quick...

j99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was under my Jeep today to check it out and almost every drivetrain component that can leak does. There is even evidence that grease is flying out of my u joints at high speeds. (not to mention that there is play in the u joints and a vibration)

My rear axle (D35) has a pinion leak that is spraying oil everywhere.
My transfer case (231) has hairline cracks and is leaking fluid.
My transmission is leaking. (small but enough to make it look grimey)
My engine is leaking motor oil. (very grimey)
My Jeep stalls more and more frequently but still runs like a banshee.

It's a 1999 with 133,000 miles and is currently worth about $4900.

My question to yall is whether or not it is worth it to invest in repairs or just keep an eye on fluid levels and top them off as needed?

I guess you can say that it is finally occuring to me that
ALL XJ's (mine as well as the absolute newest 2001 models) are getting old and are in need of constant attention.

do u beat the hell out of it? ive got a 98 w/ over 300,000 and only a smalloil drip 3in lift w/30x11 tires rarely wheeled beach driveing is usually the only time i need 4wd

ha i'm assuming they're 30x10.5's and he just rounded up to 11...

anyway, rigs wear out, and preventative maintenence is key. whoever had mine before i bought it took it wheeling quite a bit (from the looks of things anyway) and never took the time to fix things before they got bad.

but it's alright, 'cause every little thing i fix on it just makes it run that much better, steer that much tighter, etc etc. so my advice is to stick with it. avoid that feeling of betrayal when you see someone driving something you used to own!!

my old D35 had a nasty pinion leak as well. good enough excuse to upgrade to an 8.25 before it went boom.

I would recommend a though degreasing and then identifying exactly where the leaks are comming from. what may look bad at first may just be an accumulation from time.

as always, and even more important with leaks, keep an eye on the fluids. check them AT LEAST monthly if not weekly.

hth
stewie

I had some 31x11.50's about 8 years ago, but can't find them anymore. I think they were "Wildcats". They gave really good traction.

I've never seen a transfer case with "hairline cracks". Can you post pics?

Ok I went to the Jeep dealer and dropped $300 (be easy on me for this Jeepin no no) to have them fix the most urgent problem, which was the rear differential leaks.

When they were fixing the seals they notified me of metal shavings in the differential and that it is wearing out. This I can buy (but still skeptical) because they did pop the cover off to get a look.

But then they say my front differential is wearing out, but they did NOT take the cover off.

Are they trying to scam me? I can understand that u joints wear out (as I mentioned in the initial post) but damn, do Dana 30/35 axles wear out this soon?

j99xj said:
there is play in the u joints and a vibration)

thers you problem boss, so now intead od replacing a 10 dollar parts your gonna be several hudred bucks in the hole. BTW park that thing till that ujoint gets fixed

Back