• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB or OX?

sjd78

NAXJA Forum User
Debating between the two. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

ARB - Has the vulnerable air lines that can be upgraded to braided lines for extra, have heard of o-rings blowing out causing the entire housing to fill up with air and blow out the axle seals. Have heard of solinoid (sp) problems as well as the fact that your compressor could fail leaving you without any lockers.

OX - Have heard of cables sticking and being overall a pain to route. Have heard from a few companies that they have a supply problem and not only does it take a while to get the locker but parts can be a problem to get as well.

Lets hear feedback from both sides...the pro's and con's!

I run an ARB up front (D44). Wouldn't trade it for a minute. I also run a 2.5 Gal tank w/compressor and have a 10lb power tank. So if the compressor fails, I can charge the tank from the co2. However, very rarely do I need to run the compressor throughout the day.

With a spool in the back and an atlas having the selectability up front makes all the difference.

ARB all the way.

First of all i don't have lockers (yet) but i do have common sense.

ARB: More things to go wrong (compressor, air lines, pressure o-rings, solinoids, etc. the list goes on and on) , more expensive

OX:
Cable may stick, but with a properly lubed and sealed cable it shouldn't, if you want a wire instead of a cable you could always rig a servo motor to operate the locker. plus you get a nice thick (it looks thick) diff cover to go on your axle.

in my opinion KISS (keep it simple stupid) i would go with the OX locker because if your cable sticks it always easier to crawl and manually rig the locker by pulling the cable closer to the Diff. where it probobly isn't stuck, than to trouble shoot and rebuild a possibly faulty air/electrical system.

I have had ARBS for 5 years and never an issue with the lockers. Its all about proper installation. If they where installed wrong or not so well, then they will have issues. Typically if the o-rings inside go bad, the excess pressure will be bled out through the vent tube, not the axle seals unless theres something wrong with the vent tube.

AARON

personally I wont run an ARB, I can't think of a single persona I wheel with who hasn't had some kind of problem with there ARB. They all swear by them, but they all seem to break all the same.

KarlVP was at a friends shop the other day installing an OX while I worked on my rig. From the looks of it i would defintaly choose it over an ARB. My plan if I ever had to replace by detroits is an OX up front and Spool the rear.

i have an arb and i wish i went ox. Im no gear installer, but somethings is leaking and i cant find it which makes my compressor short cycle. So i believe its inside and there is really nothing i can do.

On my current project im deffinately using OX. Ok even if the cables is a bit of a pain and breaks you can take the cable off and manually engage the locker without the cable with a bolt. You dont have to worry about AIR, COMP, LINES, FITTINGS, INTERNALL SEALS, SOLINOIDS.

my .03 cents

On a recent trip to Moab, a couple of the guys in our caravan had a.r.b.'s.There were some issue's on both rigs, but from what i remember they both seemed to be install related, aside from a bad relay and solonoid.

Sean

I have an OX in front. It's simple and it WORKS!
It's never failed to operate and has never needed adjustment after the installation.:thumbup:

I have an ARB in my D30 and had a problem with an internal leak down causing the compressor to cycle very often. But recently ARB have upgraded the 2 internal o rings to x rings. This doubles the sealing surfaces & from now on you should hear less of internal seals leaking.

What does an 'x-ring' look like? First I've heard of such an animal...at least by that name...

*Just picked up a D30 and D44 this afternoon, packed with goodies including OXs.... Guess I won't get to use the Ruff Stuff covers....:(

I run an ARB in the rear and wouldn't go with anything else, I have never had a problem with it and will definately be throwing one in the front this summer.

Back