• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM gas tank skid and some other goodies

lbsnowryder

NAXJA Forum User
Just a heads up. I picked the stock skid up for $10 at a pick-&-pull. I got it on finally but i'm wondering if it was worth it.

That was alot of work to take my hitch off, place the skid and try and get everything to line up. I had to do a little modification to the exhaust hanger to get it to go back on.
100_1446.jpg

I also picked up a fog wiring harness for $0.50 but it didn't work so i had to hard wire my fogs to the stock switch, no big deal. Yesterday i got the H4 Autopal lights and have yet to try them out. Just from judging in the daylight they seem alot brighter.
100_1448.jpg

I'm headed back for the front skid that i saw and hopefully some springs from a lifted XJ sitting there.

Rumors are that Detours will be releasing their "tailbone" system next month. I plan on running that tire carrier. Price was quoted at under $400.

Nice!

I snagged the front skid, t-case skid, tank skid and a hitch plus tow-hooks + brackets, a 2" spring lift and nitro-charged shocks from a parts Jeep for $400. I also snagged some other odds & ends like a new gauge cluster, keyless entry fob & sensor (my jeep has it but I don't have the fob.) and a few other goodies.

Now the problem is when to install them!

Let me tell you, that front skid was a pain to remove... Trying to get those inside top-end bolts wasn't easy.

I've not heard anything about the Detours Tailbone bumper, is it on the site?

:)

lbsnowryder said:
Just a heads up. I picked the stock skid up for $10 at a pick-&-pull. I got it on finally but i'm wondering if it was worth it.

yes its worth it is if saves you gas tank. Cant beat pick n pull price, though the effort to take the hitch off and put back on isnt trivial .... :dunno: easier than walking home after your gas is gone. Easier thank replaceing the gas tank :shhh:

Since you've got that fancy bumper, what cha gonna do with the tow hooks? My pull-a-part doesn't have crap. Spend a couple hours there looking at all the XJs they had and they were mostly empty shells.

I never had the tow hooks! If i did they would have been up for grabs.

That skid was alot more trouble than just droping the hitch and putting it on. Nothing lined up, and with a jack stand in the way I couldn't get under there to line the holes up. It would have been alot easier with a lift so i could stand up under the whole thing. I know it was worth it though.

Detours should be updating their site by next month according to what i've heard.

Back