• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery points....

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an 89 XJ, still bone stock. Don't do a whole lot of wheeling, but since I'm wheeling stock, figured I should have some front/rear recovery points........

Currently have a Class I hitch on the rear (1 in. reciever) I recently picked up a Class III hitch (standard 2 in. reciever). Here is the question.....

Should I move the Class I up to the front end, then mount the Class III in the rear?? Then fab up inserts with clevis tabs??

Should I leave the Class I in the rear end, then mount up the Class III in the front?? (again with the fabbed inserts....)

I'm not only looking for recovery points....but also hoping to stiffen up the front of the uni-body some. And yes, I do plan on using the rear hitch to tow....

I can only speak for myself but I am putting a class 3 hitch in the back of mine. As for the front I have a set of tow hooks for the time beaing. I am useing these for my recovery points untill I can afford front and rear bumpers with clevis tabs and a 2" receiver on each. Im planning on haveing a portable winch basket to run in the front or rear depending on situation. Then be able to take it off when not in use. tim

ps, I would ditch the class 1 and upgrade. If it were my rig

I'm in agreement with toker, ditch the class 1 and grab a hidden hitch from quadratec for a little over a bill for the front end.

Grab some d-ring inserts and you're lookin at under two bills to be all set.

Or if you'd rather not spend that much you can grab two hooks from the junkyard (with brackets of course) if you're lucky and just grab a d-ring insert for the rear hitch.

Just as a technical note. You can't move your rear hitch to the front anyway. Completely different mounting. Now if you have lots of fabbing and welding experience and time on your hands, that's a different story.

A class I hitch is only good for pulling turtles off the road. End of story.

rear - class 3 hitch with d -ring insert available at a dozen places with d-ring.
front - buy factory(junkyard) or aftermarket front tow hooks and brackets
or tow hook brackets and custom 4x4 d-ring brackets( big angle iron with a hole in it from the pics ive seen) since open hooks are not really that good for retention.
the detours is nice if your going hardcore.

Back