• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

GRIMUS99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have searched numeros times on Rough Country and i see the same people either bashing or defending my question is how many people have actualy ran a Rough Country lift and what makes them so bad or good compared to other kits
Now having said that lets compare apples to apples

i put RC 3" springs and the ada leaf with no problems. I the shocks really suck though. Put some mid grade shocks on and it rids well. Cheap lift if on a budget. I bet the rear will start sagging because of the ada leaf but, it hasn't yet and it's been a year.

I have a 4.5" lift & the shocks ride great to me (at least as good as I expect any Jeep to ride). The AAL will sag, get full packs if you can afford it or replace the RC AAL with S10 AALs if you don't liek the saggin.
Mine drives great & flexes great offroad.
Pics here:
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/93 Jeep Cherokee/
flex3.jpg

i bought the 6.5 lift that they got. about a month after i noticed the upper bushings on front shocks were shredding. i called rc and they sent me to new shocks. same thing. well it turned out that those shocks cant take rapid bumps. what was happening is that the shock doesnt work fast enough so it makes the bushing start working which just fails. replaced with re monotubes and problem was solved. 6 months go by and my rearend is sagging alot. the springs were almost flat. i called rc and sent them some pictures so i think it was a week later they sent me some new springs. im still running these and yes they are flat. about a year goes by and now im noticing the driverside upper controlarm is wallowing out and the passenger has some play. my one year warranty with company was up.
with all that said im still running the front coils and i like them. there a little stiff but not to bad. i got the rk 3-link and it rides great. if i could have done it all over again i would have spent the extra money and bought a better designed lift. cheaper is not better when i comes to lifts.

pros-

it was cheap

Cons-

It is rough.
Mine came with 2 different rear springs with the same part #. my jeep leaned for a year while I waited for it to settle. I finally gave up and re-built my spring packs. I now have one more leaf on the drivers side than the passenger side.
The trac-bar relocation bracket is a terrible idea. I have had serious problems with it, and know several people who have had the same trouble.
The bump-steer was/is really bad.
Really long rear leafs and stock shackles equals bent metal somewhere.

You could buy one now if it's all you can afford and build it up with real parts as you go, or you could save up an extra couple hundred bucks and buy a good kit. or better yet, piece one together yourself.

Almost same as above.

Good----Cheap

Bad----The shocks SUCK! My ride is extremely rough. I got the 3" AAL. My leafs have sagged but that's because of 11 years of towin and hauling. If ya don't care about ride quality then RC ain't that bad.

Good- like everyone else said, cheap
Bad- you get what you pay for.
I have a RC 3" lift and all that's left are the shocks and coils. The AAL quit on me after a week, u-bolts they gave me were too short to put on the blocks, rides harsh, coils kinda didn't give me the whole 3".
Got some S10 packs instead and now I will sell my entire kit (coils, shocks, S10 packs) for pretty cheap so that I can use the money towards an RE 3.5" kit.

So from what I'm hearing, just make sure you get the full leaf spring kit, and possibly upgrade the shocks, otherwise it's not that bad of a deal.

codyyy said:
Good- like everyone else said, cheap
Bad- you get what you pay for.
I have a RC 3" lift and all that's left are the shocks and coils. The AAL quit on me after a week, u-bolts they gave me were too short to put on the blocks, rides harsh, coils kinda didn't give me the whole 3".
Got some S10 packs instead and now I will sell my entire kit (coils, shocks, S10 packs) for pretty cheap so that I can use the money towards an RE 3.5" kit.

If your kit came with blocks and aal then you bought you kit from j.c. whitney because they are the only one who sell it that way, and we dont use blocks in the back of our kits that is why the ubolts were to short. As far as the shocks I am not allowed to say who but i can say that alot of the " better shocks" i hear about on this site are our shocks just private labeled

IF anyone has any questions problems or complaints please email me at [email protected] or just pm me

I just installed a Rough Country track bar on my 97 XJ with a 5.5 RE coils, and am very impressed with it!! I had a RE 1600 on my old XJ and had horible luck with heim joints!!

I ran the 4.5" system. the aal wasn't up to par, so i built my own pack, the coils are stiff, but I have a homebrew winch bumper and ramsey 9000(about 150lbs) and they feel about right now. I run no sway bars front or rear and this lift doesn't dip out all crazy.Even with the RE upper and lower control arms with flex joints. If I had to do it again and cheap I would go this rout:

RC Front coils, Rear bastard pack w/ 2" shackle, RE control arms(up,&down), RE Adjustable track bar, Tj stock brake lines, with rancho 5000's. (this is what I now run, rides great when loaded front flexes very well, rear springs needs to be rebuilt due to rust, but perform well with no saging after about 30,000 miles).

AS good as a full RC system if not better, and about 100-200 Dollars cheaper if you are willing to shop around. The RC set up would fall into an all purpose system, rocks, sand, mud, medium speed whoops and rough roads are all in this kits ability. Just my opinion, but... isn't that what you wanted? Jim

Last edited:
I've been daily driving my XJ with the RC 4.5" w/full spring packs since February. Just like everyone else said, it truly lives up to its name: ROUGH country. Also, like many others, the upper shock bushings are already shot. I'll probably get me some new shocks soon, or poly bushings. Overall, for the money, I'm pleased I made the decision to get RC, but even more happy I spent the extra $$ and got the full rear springs.

GRIMUS99XJ said:
If your kit came with blocks and aal then you bought you kit from j.c. whitney because they are the only one who sell it that way, and we dont use blocks in the back of our kits that is why the ubolts were to short. As far as the shocks I am not allowed to say who but i can say that alot of the " better shocks" i hear about on this site are our shocks just private labeled

IF anyone has any questions problems or complaints please email me at [email protected] or just pm me
Yep, you guessed it. I ordered it from them and that's what I got. The shocks ride fine, it's just that short AAL combined with how my rear leafs were blown just made a band-aid, and obviously my Jeep flattened that thing out real quick. The coils are a little stiffer than my stock ones are but that's obvious, the coils are much thicker.

I love my rc 6.5 lift. i have installed like six of them, some are more than 3YEARS OLD, yes they have lost some lift, about a 1", we use our heeps to off road not beat it up, stock front and rear diffs on 33 1250 15 still NO BREAKY.................

jpbxj79 said:
Just my opinion, but... isn't that what you wanted? Jim

yes Jim that is and I am appreciate your honesty that is all I was looking for in this post, well also to see what we as a company could do better within reason. To address the shock issue again we do have a 2.2 series shock coming soon that rides like a dream and each shock is valved for each application no general valving

GRIMUS99XJ said:
To address the shock issue again we do have a 2.2 series shock coming soon that rides like a dream and each shock is valved for each application no general valving

that would be very nice

Back