• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ bastard pack with MJ springs...

Chili Palmer

NAXJA Forum User
Is this possible; I've been searching for a little while but can't find the answer. I've got an 88 MJ as a donor for my 84 XJ and I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.

I believe I also read you can use the MJ hanger for a little more lift?

What else would I need, I'm assuming corresponding front springs, i.e. if I get 3" of lift out back then I'll need 3" springs, etc. (will I get any lift out of the MJ springs?)

Shocks - any recommendations?

Will I need to worry about brake lines, etc...?

Any help is appreciated...

Chili,
Where you located in Idaho?
I'm in Middleton.

you will get lift from the Mj springs.

the MJ shackle will lift an XJ about an inch.

as an MJ owner I implore you to just go get some s10 leaves, MJ parts are getting rare, sell those to someone.

87manche said:
you will get lift from the Mj springs.

the MJ shackle will lift an XJ about an inch.

as an MJ owner I implore you to just go get some s10 leaves, MJ parts are getting rare, sell those to someone.

LOL, thanks, I'll actually be parting out a rust free '88 2wd MJ soon! I'm taking the grill, headlights, etc. along with some misc. wiring but the dash is still in decent shape along with all the other sheet metal. It supposedly has a blown motor (2.5L) but I was able to crank it over (doesn't mean it's not blown just that it still turns over), it has the AX-4 (I believe - it's a 4spd for sure) and a D35 out back.

I plan on working on it this weekend sometime and I should no more about what I want to keep but when I'm done I'll post up what's left...as a matter of fact, tell me what you, or anyone you know, need (besides the grill and stuff) and I'll see what I can do, I only NEED the grill assembly at this time...

I run the 3 bottom MJ leaves under my stock XJ main leaf. I cleaned them up and painted them with graphite slip paint from the implement store. I like the spring clip that came with the MJs. I just removed the bolt from the top and run it like a "U" keeping the springs in line. It lets the springs separate a bit to gain a bit more down travel.

I get 4" with the stock shackle.

I get much better wheel travel than I did with the aal I was running before.

I'm working on a rear shackle/hanger that will increase travel a bit more still.

lbsnowryder said:
I'm in Meridian here guys. I still would like to see the conversion to a 97+ front clip on an MJ.
I don't have alot to add so i'll stay short.

Me too, Ustick and Meridian Roads...

lbsnowryder said:
I'm in Meridian here guys. I still would like to see the conversion to a 97+ front clip on an MJ.
I don't have alot to add so i'll stay short.

Do you mean like this?
479208_178_full.jpg

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2962

that's what i'm talking about. I wanted to do it when i had my MJ but the 300k on the odometer and the lack of money in my wallet at the time stopped alot of things from happening.

Back