• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to install a headunit in a '98

Hollowpoint

NAXJA Forum User
Im goign to be buying a new headunit soon and was wondering how to install or if there is a online guide somewhere that shows how to install it. I looked for some screws and came up with nothing. btw if this is in the wrong section sorry, first timer:rolleyes:

This was asked as recently as this morning, please refer to the search button.

here is a Rundown because I can see you are VERY new here.

1. pull off center dash cover. (grab at bottom corners of the plastic, it pops right off)
2. Undo two 10mm screws holding in stock radio.
3. slide stock radio out and unplug wiring harnesses and antenna.
4. Install new wiring adapter (purchased seperately) to new head unit.
5. Install new bracket and mounting kit (purchased seperately) to new head unit.
6. Plug in new head unit to wiring harness and antenna.
7. Mount bracket with original 10mm screws
8. Test unit.
9. Snap dash back into place.
10. JAM

sorry about that, I did do a search for Installing Headunit and Just one thing came up and it was acutally about speakers....but

the you say pull off center dash cover. Is it all connected top top and bottom? I only ask because I just got the XJ as my first car well SUV and dont want to mess anything up

it snaps in top and bottom, mind you I am only talking about the center piece that goes around the radio, heater controls, and rear wiper control.

goodburbon said:
it snaps in top and bottom, mind you I am only talking about the center piece that goes around the radio, heater controls, and rear wiper control.

OK so I think Im thinking of the same thing. And than once thats off I can just unscrew the radio and go from there?

just go buy a wiring harness that fits your stock connection and wire it up...its really simple. just pop off the dash and you will find the screws.

I have the harness that is need. And I see how it pops off. I tried last night and it didnt seem to want to move but you got to kinda wiggle and pull. Sorry about the search thing, idk why it didnt come up with a list

Back