• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chrysler 8.25

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
so i tought i was buying a D44 and ended up paying 200 for a 8.25
do u think i over paid?
now how low can i gear it? 4.56 right?
and whats the stock case break when it comes to gears?
and if it has the stock locker will i be able to keep it if i regear ir?

just let me know a thing or two
i did all the searching for a D44 and now i got this

cas

That sucks. You over payed if its a 27 spline from a mid 96 or earlier XJ. If its a 29 spline from a later 96 to 01, you did better but is by no means the great deal a D44 wouldve been.
4.56 is the lowest gear available.
No factory locker was available. It may have a trac-loc limited slip though and you can reuse it if you regear because there is no carrier break for the 8.25.

IIRC there is no case break in the chryco but a pin (or a tooth i dont remember) may have to be modified a slight amount for everything to fit.
you may want to upgrade your shafts too if you want to run 35s cause the stock shafts may be a little wimpy, but they should hold up...for a while.

You can put an e locker in there now. There is starting to be alot available for them. If it's a 27 spline change it to a 29, the e locker replaces the carrier anyway...so pickup better axles. Might want to consider doing a disc swap with ZJ parts too....
As for mods to the case itself, when I put my auburn pro in I had to grind a piece in the casting to get it to fit, took about 20 min of trial and error fits to get it right..

so gearing this 8.25 and running 35s
will hold up?
i was hoping for a d44 but this came along quicker
paid 200 for it and i has the factory lsd

so i think it was a good deal

cas

cassio said:
so gearing this 8.25 and running 35s
will hold up?
i was hoping for a d44 but this came along quicker
paid 200 for it and i has the factory lsd

so i think it was a good deal

cas

8.25 = 8 1/4" ring gear
D44 = 8 1/4" ring gear

You might want to consider D60's...

cassio said:
ok so except for the fact lowest gears it 4.56
i got a decent axle here

thanks guys

I had a typo, D44= 8 1/2" ring gear.... not 8 1/4 ring gear. The D44 is not all that much stronger than the 8.25 though if the D44 is a full floater theres some other things you can do you can't do with a C clip rear..

I'm running 35s (unlocked at this point) on a 29 spline Chrysler 8.25 (99 XJ). I'm also running 4.56 gearing.

Shafts for this rear end are CHEAP. You can get a set for around $200 or under (Superior, Alloy Usa, Yukon). There are tons of locker options for them.

In the near future after I pay off some bills i'm throwing some yukon (found them for $145 shipped from a vendor on JF, and a powertrax no-slip).

It's a decent axle. It's not bulletproof, but neither are any other rear ends.

more info on my rig:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271502&highlight=pics+junk

Back