• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hubcentric/lugcentric - how is this possible...

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
all of the wheels that I have seen have tapered lug nuts, and the holes on the wheel are tapered as well. I have been reading up on this and have not found a definitive authoritative reference that states whether XJ (mine is a 1990) wheels are hub or lug centric.
But...I can't see that it matters because with the taper on the lug nuts, the rim will always be centered on the lugs - if the rim is a snug fit on the hub, it HAS to be a proper fit on the lugs or you will bend/crack the rims.

As you are already aware, there are two method of locating wheels on the axle shaft.

Most OEM wheels are "hub-centric," meaning they locate (primarily) on the raised up at the end of the axle shaft. The secondary location is on the lugs - using, as you mentioned, the tapered seat. This gives them two means of locating on the end of the axle shaft to make sure the wheels are centred properly.

"Lug-centric" usually covers aftermarket wheels. Instead of having to make several dozen variations of a basic wheel (since most hubs are differently-sized,) they instead choose to cetre on the bolt circle of the lugs, and then use the tapered seat of the "acorn" nut to positively locate the wheels about the shaft centre.

A "hub-centric" wheel is generally preferred, since the hub extends directly from the axle shaft, and some slight variation in the bolt circle will be tolerated. That's why OEM wheels are hub-centric - they're also easier to manufacture.

Lug-centric wheels are a shade more difficult to machine (they have to have the bolt circle DEAD ON,) and that also depends on the fact that there are not variations in the bolt circle on your axle shaft. Since the hub hole for the lug-centric wheel will be slightly larger, there is some freedom of motion there - and if the wheel should shift (due to a manufacturing defect in the wheel or the axle shaft bolt circle,) it's going to let you know - no matter how well the tyre/wheel are balanced (it will feel like you've "thrown a weight" if the wheel slips. If you don't see a clean spot where a weight used to be, it's time to check for wheel shift.)

Make sense now?

Back