• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear end identification

74charger

NAXJA Forum User
okay, stats are as follows. 99, 4.0, command trac, factory installed towing package. I gave the local stealership a call with the VIN and they decoded it for me (for free even) they informed me of what I already was really sure of. D30 front, chryco 8 1/4 rear. I did reasurch on this site, and I was sure it was an 8 1/4 rear. I did all this because this is the first jeep ever for me. I changed the diff fluid and bought the right gasket for it, but one of the tags on the cover reads "35" there are no markings that I could find on the ring gear. is this a case of "looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but is labled a dog" thinks? and one other ?, why do I HAVE to add the limited slip stuff? is that because it is, or just one of those extra protective things

Thanks!!!

Only reason to add that additive is if you have the Trac-loc limited slip diff (or some other aftermarket limi slip diff). It depends on what kind of diff fluid you have too, some (I believe Amsoil and Royal Purple) both already have additives for limited slip differentials.

I'd almost guarantee that you have the 8.25 rear end, if you have the towing package, they'd never throw a D35 on that.....

If you have an auto ,that tag is the gear ratio 3.55 .
Wayne

They did put tow packages w/ d35, I have a 2001 60th anniv that came with factory tow and a 35. Needless to say the 35 is history and ABS is a thing of the past.

okay, it doesn't have abs, and the pic deffinatly conferms that it is an 8 1/4. that and I looked under the charger's rear. they have the same rear. but I still don't know why the hayes, dealership, and NAPA all told me to put the addative in it. I'm really sure it doesn't have the limited slip.

Back