• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need tire advice, mtr trxus or tsl

giantsfan10

NAXJA Forum User
i'm looking at mtr 37s, trxus 37s and tsl 38x12.5's

my rig hp 44 and built 9inch.

my requirements. rock traction. here in ct. things are usually wet. what do you guys think?

Last time I checked you cant get MTR's right now. I am needing to warranty one of mine but cant getanother one to replace it. I may have to upgrade but not sure what other tire is as good or better than the MTR.

Ive had the trxus and now run the bias ply TSL's.

I would use the trxus again, if it sees lots of street use. They do well in all terrains, snow, mud, rocks, sand, pavement...

The TSL is a tough tire, groove it, and sipe the middle treads, and you should be good to go for wet traction. Great traction in the nasty mud, great traction in the rocks so far. They absolutely suck in the snow. And they wear fast for a street rig.

Can't speak much for the MTR, but a lot of wheelers use it for the rocks. It just doesn't seem to do well in the mud. Seen them work great in the snow.

CanMan said:
Ive had the trxus and now run the bias ply TSL's.

I would use the trxus again, if it sees lots of street use. They do well in all terrains, snow, mud, rocks, sand, pavement...

The TSL is a tough tire, groove it, and sipe the middle treads, and you should be good to go for wet traction. Great traction in the nasty mud, great traction in the rocks so far. They absolutely suck in the snow. And they wear fast for a street rig.

Can't speak much for the MTR, but a lot of wheelers use it for the rocks. It just doesn't seem to do well in the mud. Seen them work great in the snow.
I basically agree with CanMan. I have both the Trxus M/Ts and TSLs (LTBs) on different vehicles. The Trxus are a great "all around" tire for mixed street and off road use, but for a mainly trail rig I'd go with the TSL or one of its variants (SX, LTB). They grab like crazy.

The 38x12.5 TSL Super Swamper doesn't measure out to a true 38", it's more like 36.5". I would always go with Interco TLS tires, but never buy the Thornbirds or SSRs. The TSL SX are about as good of traction as you can get in wet stuff, I assume this isn't your daily driver.

I really loved the set of trxus that i had... and if you EVER see mud... stay CLEAR of the MTR's... I was so happy to get rid of mine, being that most of my wheeling, while i prefer rocks, is in mud or sand, being in florida and all...

MTRs suck in san and mud... bad...

My trxus felt like i bought lockers and put in a SBC the way they gripped compared to the MTR's...

Now, in the pits... my MTR's gripped WAY harder than most with SS's... Wets no fun tho!

I wouldn't get the MTR. Have to drive through mud to get to the rocks in connecticut/new england. Iroks would be your best bet, but chosing from that list... TSL bias.

:farmer:

jfiscus said:
The 38x12.5 TSL Super Swamper doesn't measure out to a true 38", it's more like 36.5".

Wrong. Copied straight from Interco's webpage, for the Bias Ply TSL.

SAM-94
38x12.50-15LT
23/32
15x10

TSL/SX

SAM-61
38x12.50-15LT
23/32
15x10

http://intercotire.com/site24.php

Still not a 'true' 38" tire though.

I run Bias TSL/SX's 38x12.5 on an 8 inch Beadlock. Notched them as well. Can't beat the durabilty and grip of a SX running at 4 PSI. I climb everything I point it at. of course the Atlas helps. :yelclap:

DaffyXJ said:
I run Bias TSL/SX's 38x12.5 on an 8 inch Beadlock. Notched them as well. Can't beat the durabilty and grip of a SX running at 4 PSI. I climb everything I point it at. of course the Atlas helps. :yelclap:
That is truly the tuffest stickest tire known to man when aired down like that and would be great for the wet rocks. Wet tires cut like butter and I bet you get wet in the North east.

Back