• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine oil and trim Q

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions for all...

A friend and I were driving in his 92 xj (stock 2wd, 4.0l) and we noticed that he was running warm (normally around 160 with a 160 stat, but about 190 now, A/C on). As he got home, the oil gauge started to wiggle about, and dropped to 10 or less for an instant a few times. Luckily it was close to home, but we don't know if it was doing it on the highway as well (good high speed). When we checked the oil, the stick was dry, other than a little splashing. It seems the pump was starting to suck air at times and it was low enough that it wasn't offering any cooling help.

No knocking or misbehaving though. Does anyone think any damage was done??? It's got over a qtr million miles and he lost it through a leaky drain plug or rear seal over time. I'm inclined to say it will be fine, but anyone go through this? He's real worried. I'd be worried too 'cause I don't let that happen... Any ideas on how bad an event this is and what damage might be done if any?

Second Q is for me. The lower trim on my 89 xj 4wd is coming off and looks like it's glued on. It's a pretty big chunk of rubber/plastic (whole driver door long). What do I use to glue it back on and to prep it for the glue? Based on the dirt it's picked up it's been letting go for a while, but finally started flapping...

Thanks much in advance!

Skip

Q1 no noise is a good sign. change the oil as it got real hot (even though the engine temp was not too high) jeep an eye on the pressure and cross fingers.

Q2 3M makes an automotive grade double sided tape-- the same stuff that window visors are held on with. It's what was used to hold my molding on and still is!

--Shorty

Back