• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31s or 32s

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
trying top decide wether i want 32 or 31's. i plan on getting maxxis bighorn radial. i have stock rims, i think the 15x7? its a 2000 sport. alos have a RE 3.5 superflex with the extras to add later for 4.5inch. either going to get 31x10.5 or 32x11.5. will the 32's work until i get new rims, prob in a month or so?

i went with 31s on my 4.5 b/c i didn't wanna cut/trim it just yet (it was only around 60,000 miles when it got lifted) and i didn't have the money to regear. i think the 31s are fine but think about, its not a huge difference really though i do wish i went with 32s sometimes.

Go for the 32's, I ran 4.5" of lift on my jeep and the stock tires for almost a year while I saved up the money for wheels and tires. I put 33's on and trimmed the finders and I love it. Since you only got 3.5" of lift I say go for the 32's and trim the finders a little to fit them... if needed. You will eventually want to trim the finders to get that little extra on the trail so why not just do it now. Also since you plan on going to 4.5" of lift the 32's will look better, but that is just my opinion.

just fyi, the Bighorn 31s actually measure close to 30" when mounted and under a loaded XJ. since my 3.5" RE lift gave me 4.5" of lift... I've got plenty of room for more tire. I should be fine with true 32" tires. been meaning to borrow 33s from a buddy of mine to see how they fit.

I'm running the 31x10.5 Bighorns on my stock 15x7 Ecco wheels, a little rubbing on the control arms at full lock. I've been too lazy to do the washer trick to fix it.

2000bluexj said:
i have stock rims, i think the 15x7? its a 2000 sport.
You think?Might want to check first,16" wheels are very common on the 2000 models!

4.5" lift with 32x11.5's on stock wheels.

dsc00414.jpg

dsc00286.jpg

91xj1 said:
In my opinion I'd go with he 31's...little taller, plus 32x11.5 will look like a low rider cause there so wide.

31s are a little taller than 32s?

2000bluexj said:
i have stock rims, i think the 15x7?
Seems everyone was so caught up in what they did that your running stock wheels missed hitting them. If your are staying stock, then you'll need to adjust the steering stops and you'll definatel need the 31s. The 32s are way too wide with stock wheels.

rstarch345 said:
Seems everyone was so caught up in what they did that your running stock wheels missed hitting them. If your are staying stock, then you'll need to adjust the steering stops and you'll definatel need the 31s. The 32s are way too wide with stock wheels.

I ran 32's with stock wheels for a long time. I had no problems other than rubbing my lca's at full lock. Good wear, never broke a bead, worked out fine.

yea... 15 inch rims. im gunna order today. goin 32x11.5. next month i iwll get some 15x8 steelies. my tires are horrible looking because my toe toed in by like a half inch, i just didnt have the time to get it aligned properly because of 70 hrs plus a week. they will be fine for a few weeks i hope

Fix it ASAP. You will ruin a set of tires in no time running it like that.

cal said:
I ran 32's with stock wheels for a long time. I had no problems other than rubbing my lca's at full lock. Good wear, never broke a bead, worked out fine.
I still run 32's with stock wheels but not at any 11.50 wide. Wouldn't even try and I'm at 5" lift. I DO NOT CUT. That's barbaric, uncivilized and uncouth.

anyone have an idea on about how big the 32 inch maxxis's run? i am at the same decesion between 31s or 32s with 3.5 inches of lift

also whats the MPG loss with the tire size upgrade from 27s to 31s to 32s? anyone notice any differences?

Mtb Jak said:
also whats the MPG loss with the tire size upgrade from 27s to 31s to 32s? anyone notice any differences?

It seems to be different for everyone. I had about 18 stock, 14 with 32's and 3.55's, and 20-21 with 32's and 4.56 gears.

Back