• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" lift and 2.5* shims

mikeswrangler

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a 3" rancho lift in my girfriends cherokee. Full leafs, coils, lower control arms, sway bar drop brackets, skyjacker shocks. The kit I grabbed had a set of RE 2.5* shims in it. I installed the kit with the 2.5* shims but I get nasty vibes all over the place, is this not the correct degree I should be using with a 3" kit. The jeep sitts at 33.5" at each wheel well for hieght. What are you guys running for the 3" kits, or are you just running a tc drop (I dont have one on there btw).

I run a BDS 3" all spring lift with 30" tires for now. I only used the leafs that came in the kit and the transfer case drop. No vibrations to speak of.

With a similar 3" kit, I am running 3* shims although I need 4*. What you need to do is measure the driveline angles and that, and only that, will tell you what shims you truly need. You can't just take an average of what everyones got. It would be nice if that worked. I would definitely get the shims sourced and not even consider that stupid TC drop.

I found this site to be invaluable.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

Krausee3 said:
hey, how does the 3inch with 30's run? that's what i'm about to do except with rustys
It does fine. That is the same set up I'm running.

When I first installed the lift, I ran no shims at all. I did not drop the TC either. I had zero vibes.
I have since installed and 8.8 (welded on new perches), and a SYE in antipitation of going higher later.
My XJ is a 96.

Last edited:
mikeswrangler said:
.... I installed the kit with the 2.5* shims but I get nasty vibes all over the place, is this not the correct degree I should be using with a 3" kit..

there is no 'correct' shim for a specific lift. Its varies jeep to jeep.

I have a Rustys 3" sitting at 3.5 in the rear, no shims, t-case drop, minimal-no vibes.

You really have to measure all the angles and figure out what it would take to get the angles in spec, if possible. Google driveline angles and read some of the articles, then measure it.

I took the shims out today and most the vibes went away. I have very minimal vibes right now.

mikeswrangler said:
I took the shims out today and most the vibes went away. I have very minimal vibes right now.
Don't rest on your laurels - fix those vibes as well before even the minimal vibes manage do do damage.

mikeswrangler said:

not to over simplify the problem, but did you have the shims on the correct way??

Yes, I did. I knew that was going to be asked when I said they prety much went away after taking them out.

Back