• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no power to factory fogs

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
OK...here's the scoop. I bought the XJ, and the factory fog lights were trash. Rusted out, broken, etc....so I pulled them off

I finally got around to purchasing another set of lights, this time got some 100w spots from the local truck stop. (not a bad price, either). The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to get power to the harness. I've checked the fuses in the cab, they are all good. meow I'm down to looking at the four relays behind my battery, or the one relay mounted to the firewall on driver's side of the engine bay. Anyone have any experience with an 89 that they would care to share?? Which one of the 5 relays I've found is it??

PS - lights are self grounding (and yea, it's good). No idea if the lights originally worked, but I did hit it with the ol' test light (good). My owners manual/Haynes book give no indication of a fuse/relay for the lights, and searching the forum yeilds info mostly regarding newer XJs (we keep referring to PDC, fuses under the hood, etc....I dont' have any of this!!)

Using the factory switch? It is notorious for melting on the inside and losing connection. That's what I would check first, Ive had to replace mine once and it melted again, finally "modified" it so my lights have been working for a few months now.

Or it could be the relay for the high beams

1997 to 2001 also have a fog light fuse in the black plastic relay box under the hood on the passenger side. Pull them one at a time and check for blown ones. IIRC they are not labeled for function.

OK...forgot to add a few things. I've tried this every way I can think of....low beams, hi beams, parking lights, etc.....the switch only lights up on low beam, so I stuck with that.

I was never happy with the idea that the fogs only work when the low beams are on.....was thinking of re-wiring the switch to a constant hot line. Perhaps this would be a good time to do it??

*edit*
Like all my projects with this damn Jeep.....This was supposed to be a fun 15 minute job, not a 3 hour gremlin hunt. I *hate* chasing wiring....and my wife won't let me "custom wire" it (gonna have to hide it all!!)

Update!!

I've done more time with the ol' test light. Turns out that I've got power to all fuses except one marked Instant Lamps (WTF??) Anyways...pulled the dash apart, too...and tested on the dash switch. We've got power coming in (when the headlights are on low beam) and power coming out (when the switch is turned on) Looks like something under the hood.......

*edit*
I've also jumper-ed the lights directly to the battery, I know they light up. 100 watters are really friggin bright, too!!

*edit again*
I've got a little bit of power at the bumper....guessing 7-8 volts from how dim the test light was. Would this be a cause for my lights to not work?? I'll have real numbers tomorrow...gotta grab the voltmeter from work

Last edited:
Back