• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you remove the 8.25 shafts?

95meangreen

NAXJA Forum User
ok i took the whole drum brake off and the shaft is just not coming out is there any trick to this? or should i just pull out the BFH and start swinging? maybe im just slow but any help world be great!

Seriously? You don't know how they are held in? You cant just remove the drum and take the shafts out!

They have C clips! You must remove the Diff cover, remove the 5/16" bolt that holds in the cross shaft, remove the cross shaft, push the axle shafts inwards, the C clips will fall out, remove the C clips from the inside, and pull shafts out.

i certainly hope thats not your jeep in your aviator and you dont know how to remove axle shafts from the 8.25. but yea, like said above, you gotta pull the cover and do a little work

Or maybe just try looking in the service manual??????Hasta

Oh, you don't have one? Well then find one, buy it, and then read it!

If you find yourself struggling to read the go to school, find a first grader, and have him/her read it for you!:doh:

TheBlackSheep said:
should i just pull out the BFH and start swinging? maybe im just slow

Ummm, Yeah.

Dsc03266.jpg

Dsc03268.jpg

well i did that already..... the cross shaft wont come out so is that abnormal? ive never pulled a rear end apart so im learning cut me some slack, and i have a service manual and thats all it tells me is toun bolt the bolt and remove it and for somereason to me its not that easy

oh shit thanks for the pic 87xjco apparently ive snaped the 5/16 bolt in half so thats why it can be removed that sucks thanks to the people trying to be helpful

Broken 5/16 bolt? This no good kimosabe. If the threaded part of the bolt came out then you can punch the rest out with a punch. If the threads are still in there, then you'll probably have to remove the carrier and try to drill the rest of the bolt out.

jeeperjohn said:
Broken 5/16 bolt? This no good kimosabe. If the threaded part of the bolt came out then you can punch the rest out with a punch. If the threads are still in there, then you'll probably have to remove the carrier and try to drill the rest of the bolt out.
hard to remove the carrier if you can't get the shafts out.

got a pic of this broken bolt?

TheBlackSheep said:
other wise i guess im poked
Just don't get screwed too!!!

Try to first just screw it out with a sharp pick while wiggling the cross shaft in and out. I've gotten many out that way.

Next try a left hand drill bit set, start with a 1/8 and drill in about a 1/4" if you can, then use a 32nd larger bit and try and catch the bit in the hole and hopefully spin the bolt out.

If that doesn't work you can use a cut off wheel on a dremel tool with a small diameter blade, and cut a slot in the cross shaft that aligns with the sides of the bolt hole. Then slide the shaft out away from the pin to the other side of the carrier. you'll cut into the carrier a little but probably not enough to weaken it.

Back