• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift advice

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I can't figure this out. My current lift sucks. I think I want to lift my Jeep to fit some nice 31s or maybe 32s, however I don't think going to a 4.5" lift would be good since that might mean I need an sye for it. My Jeep won't be a hardcore crawler or insane trail rig, I just want to do some moderate trails and a bit of some mudding. I've heard with 31s and a locker in the rear, I can go just about anywhere in Michigan. True? I was thinking of getting a 3.5" kit from Full Traction or RE, however I like the Full Traction one best because it uses two AALs and has EVERYTHING I need in order to do it right. Anybody use this kit? Better or worse than RE?
http://www.full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=97&NOTES=20
The RE Super-flex kit is nice as well, I don't know if the LCAs are better or worse as opposed to the banana-shaped LCAs the Full-Traction kit has, though. Thanks.

x3. Go with the Superflex. From my personal experience it's well engineered, easy to install (it's removal of the old parts that's a PITA) and it performs extremely well. My 31s on 4" backspacing fit beautifully. 32s would fit with a bit of trimming. Definitely do not go AAL. All springs sag over time, even full packs eventually, but AALs are prone to sagging much earlier as they're stressed to follow the contour of the existing springs. RE seems to plan ahead for sag and for the use of heavy-duty steel bumpers and trail equipment, as my Jeep sat 5.5" rear, 4.5" front right out of the box. It's settled very little in three months, probably to about 5" and 4.5", but I like the raked look :cool:

Last edited:
And about the SYE....I said for the longest time i never wanted to do an SYE - but I finally broke down and did one, used a Front DS to save me lots of $$$, the SYE wasn't that hard to do and I absolutely LOVE it....notice a huge difference accelerating, never realized that before the SYE, I did have some driveline vibration....now, its totally smooth......

JNickel101 said:
And about the SYE....I said for the longest time i never wanted to do an SYE - but I finally broke down and did one, used a Front DS to save me lots of $$$, the SYE wasn't that hard to do and I absolutely LOVE it....notice a huge difference accelerating, never realized that before the SYE, I did have some driveline vibration....now, its totally smooth......
What SYE kit did you use I always said that I wouldnt get one either but i think i might have to haha :rof:

Well to say the story, I knew nothing and bought a Rough Country 3" AAL kit. It made my Jeep worse than it was stock. The AAL held up for a week and then quit. I ended up taking the AALs off and selling them.
Used the money to buy some S10 packs for $15, and it lifted my XJ probably 5" at first. It settled down to about 4.5", but that's because I beat the crap out of it as soon as I put it on.
So my front is at about a little less than 3", rear at around 4.5". I have vibes which I deal with but the death wobbles is what I hate. I'm not going to buy a full leaf kit from RE, the Super-flex AAL kit is what I was thinking. I just thought the Full-Traction kit would be a little better because it has so much stuff and uses 4 AALs instead of 2.
However, I can mix and match XJ leafs, S10 leafs, and the AALs and maybe that would hold up better. I would've asked you guys how the Tuff-Country 3.5" kit is but they use a 3" block, which I don't want to do.
The reason why I don't want to run an SYE is because I have the NP242 t-case, and the only real option there is Tom Woods, and I can't afford that. Getting a 231 t-case and running an Advanced Adaptors SYE or RE plate might be cheaper, then again with how much money all those parts would be, it would probably cost the same as the Tom Woods kit.
Anyway, in the next coming months I'll be looking around for a used kit, I'm sure someone here has a 3.5" RE kit that they would sell since it is really popular. So if anyone has a kit they would sell, PM me. Thanks.

I just installed my 3.5" RE Super Ride last week and added the RE transfer case drop. After my 31" BFG's, the lift yielded 6" in the front and 7" in the rear. I love the fact that my wife has to pull herself into the Jeep now. I am sure it will settle down to about 5.5" after some time.

I believe the RE lift is a very good lift, but I do not like the sway bar end links very much. Seems cheesy to me. Go for the SuperFlex lift, and definately get the full rear leafs like I did. That is a good investment.

I also went with the Rancho RSX5000-series shocks and they seem stiff and provide a truck-like ride. I sort of like that, but others do not.

Your lift and tires will give your XJ a much better look and personality. I cannot tell you how many looks I get now (could be my imagination, but I have none) as I drive around town. Old Blue has never looked better!

Have fun. Do your research (that's part of the fun) and enjoy what you choose. This is YOUR Jeep. Make it how YOU want it.

--

Project Old Blue
RE 3.5" Super Ride lift
31" BFG's
Rack on top, dirt on bottom

almondjoy137 said:
What SYE kit did you use I always said that I wouldnt get one either but i think i might have to haha :rof:

I got the HD one from Jeepinoutfitters.com - $219 shipped. From what I can tell, its very similar, if not identical to the one from AA or PORC. Came with everything, installed no problem, and has worked great now for a couple of months. I am lucky enough to have the AW4/C8.25 combo, so I got a front DS from a 1999 XJ AW4 off of Ebay, and I was all set for well under $300.

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=567

I just recently shopped around for a lift for my brother in law. I wound up piecing one together because NONE of them were "complete". Either they didn't come with a new adjustable trac-bar, or brake lines, or they came with some cheesy AAL and/or trac-bar, brake line relocation kit. Most came with crappy shocks, none came with swaybar discos.

I just installed his lift for him this past weekend and it came out level and rides sweet. Research things a bit and build your own to save a few bucks in the long run.

here's a quick and nasty of the lift I built him.
Skyjacker 4" lift nitro shocks .
RE adjustable Trac-bar.
RE 3.5" front springs.
HD stock rear springs (q-tech) & bushings.
Teraflex lift shackles.
Rock Krawler adj UCA's.
Skyjacker Swaybar disco.
Extended brake lines.
Fixed LCA's I had lying around.

I REALLY wish I had known about this when I was looking fro my own kit. It would have saved me from using that trac-bar relocation kit. and brake line relocation kit, and stock UCA's with sucky hydro shocks all for the low low price of $650.

We put on a set of 31x10.50 SSR ( about 31.5" tire) and they seem to fit nicely.

Back