• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New headlights

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
I'm lookin to get a new set of headlights. What have you guys used and liked, or what would you recommend...I'm not trying to spend more than around 50 or so. And i'm hoping to get some noticably brighter lights. the ones i have now aren't cutting it. thanks for any input.

also, what exactly is the difference between xenon and halogen? thanks.

Last edited:
If you want brighter for under $50 then re-wire them like the ones that are at www.Gojeep.com Bookmark that site as I have done and you will find so many ideas that you will want to do to your XJ.

Rewiring is definitely the best bang for the buck as far as headlight upgrades go. Silvania Silver Stars make for a decent upgrade on top of that. A word on H-4 conversions is DON"T buy cheep made in Taiwan junk. Get good IPF, Hella, Cibie, or another good manufacture. Those junk housing are worse than the OEM Wagners.

I went with Silverstars much better then stockers.

I agree the re-wire would be the best bang for the buck, then add silverstars, I'm happy with mine. You can't go H-4 for under $50, and as mentioned, stay away from the cheap housings!

scoobyxj said:
Rewiring is definitely the best bang for the buck as far as headlight upgrades go. Silvania Silver Stars make for a decent upgrade on top of that. A word on H-4 conversions is DON"T buy cheep made in Taiwan junk. Get good IPF, Hella, Cibie, or another good manufacture. Those junk housing are worse than the OEM Wagners.

X2 on that... Cibie is the "premium" offering, Hella and IPF are both about the same (good) quality & price. I've ran both Hella and IPF & can't really say one is remarkably better than the other.

Also don't spend lots 'extra' on fancy bulbs... just get the good H4 Hella halogens from rallylights.com. I like the 130/90 flavor, but the 100/80 are also a good upgrade over stock.

will i run into any problems running higher wattage lights using the stock wiring? i'd like to just replace the lights without rewiring them. so what wattages would be safe to run using the stock wiring? thanks. i've decided i'll be spending more than 50 also.

gijosiahh said:
will i run into any problems running higher wattage lights using the stock wiring? i'd like to just replace the lights without rewiring them. so what wattages would be safe to run using the stock wiring? thanks. i've decided i'll be spending more than 50 also.
Not recommended. The stock wiring is barely adequate as it is. You will get better results doing the upgraded harness than even replacing the lights. Silver Stars are the best stock wattage sealed beam replacements I have come across. On the flip side there life seem to be diminished running an upgraded harness.

Back