• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft with sye?

rwallace

NAXJA Forum User
so i've got the sye but not much money for a tom woods, all i need is a cv driveshaft? the front driveshaft for the xj looks like it might work. can i do this? i will have roughly 6.5" lift and a 9" rear. what do i do about the u joint to the 9". also anyone got any good suggestions about the 8.8 discs on the 9"? please fill me in. the jeep is bad ass butthe owner is in a little over his head.

I know for sure it works if you get the front DS out of an auto tranny XJ, put in IN an XJ with an auto tranny and a Chry 8.25 rear end....not sure what the pinion length of a 9" rear is compared to the 8.25....if its shorter, the front DS from a Grand Cherokee might work....believe certain ones are an inch longer than the one from an XJ

Here's a link that markaboo929 gave me when I was initally doing my SYE: http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

This should help you determine what length driveshaft you'll need.

I was able to use a front shaft out of an automatic, but I'm only at 4.5" and running a 8.25 rear axle. You may need one of the 1310 to 1330 u-joints to mate everything up as well, but I'm not that well versed on the 9" or the 8.8.

I went with the PORC SYE, well worth the money ad easy to do on your own. Here's the page: http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=120&products_id=82

I was all set to go the Tom Woods route as well, I ended up doing mine for $190 all in. I caught the end of the $170 shipped sale on the SYE and got the DS for $15 + tax on the half price pull-your-part sale.

tape.jpg

Measure your front shaft first. Or remove the front shaft, and try it in the rear. The U joints might not be the same, but at least you can test the length and fit before buying another front shaft.

Back