• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 4.0L Fuel Problems

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have s 98 ZJ that has had plenty or problems that have been slowly solved. Now the brake problem isnt big but might have to do with the big picture of the fuel proble.

Problem: Going around turns the ZJ like to almost spit. Its goes to almost idle and tries to keep moving so it jolts around. Also you can hear a sucking clicking sound comming from the engine bay when doing this. The emptier the tank the more common the problem. Fuller the less common. So this leads me to think a baffle in the tank is broken or the pickup is bent up away from the bottom of the tank.

I have changed the plugs and acceleratin is nicer and problem occurs sometimes under acceleration. But isnt very common. It still makes a sucking clicking sound.

Not sure if this is related but the ABS light remains on all the time. Had codes read but nothing comes up and the FSM says codes are stored if the ABS light turns on and stays on.

I posted this in here because we are talking about the same engine and fuel system in the XJ.

Also timming might be off but I dont think this could only happen on turns if the timming was off.

Back