• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
Will that turn on the key 3times and the engine light will flash the code trick work on a 99? I've tried it several times to no avail. I dont feel like paying to have it scanned or paying $179CAN for a scanner....

It didn't work on my '99. All it did was some sort of reset. I ended up getting a scanner off ebay for $30. It reads and resets codes.

I think that the 97+ use the same computer system, and I know it works on my 97. Its a bit sensitive, but it will work. I think there was a guy on here a while ago that had a 97 that it didnt work on, and someone explained it by saying that they made the change in 97 so not all of them got it. Or maybe it was the other way around, they changed them not to in 97 but not all of them got it. Either way, my 97 does it.

I couln't get it to work in my 99, but also I think this takes too much patience (and I think of myself as one who is) so that may have something to do with it. It worked in our 96 (which is also ODB 2), but was a real PITA to get it to work.
I also seem to recall that they changed this feature somewhere in the 97-98 model years, but not sure where I heard that from, JP magizine maybe?

from past reading, I have heard it worked on 96's and I know it works on my 97, but I believe it stops there. I know it doesn't work on my buddies 98, so he grabbed himself a scanner, paid for itself a few times on his ride a few times and other vehicles a few more times still.

umm, well according to my 97 it works on them too. Also my friends 97 Ram, but that was a fluke I didn't think of it at the time, just did it... then realized it was not my Jeep, still worked.

OMIT, double post.

Doesn't work on my 99....which is why I now have a sacnner :)

Take the Jeep (if it still runs good) to Autozone...they will read the code(s) for free.

Runs fine...no autozone here in Canada, lol. The local Jeep shop said they'd read it for $40....its not like I have a choice. I just hope its something I can fix and cheap...im BROKE!

'97 was the split year for the key-clicky trick to work. Early '97's, it would work. Later '97's and up, it doesn't.....

VinceYJ said:
Runs fine...no autozone here in Canada, lol. The local Jeep shop said they'd read it for $40....its not like I have a choice. I just hope its something I can fix and cheap...im BROKE!

I've heard of other auto parts stores reading it for free as well, but in the states, vato zone is the first one that comes to mind.

Call around to some of the auto parts stores in your area and see what they say.

I would also start saving to invest in a good scanner. You dont need one that does everything including making coffee for you in the morning, just a decent one that had the ability to read and CLEAR codes (some only just read them, not clear them). You can also spend just a hair more and get one that read and clears codes, as well as does a vew digital read outs on various sensors (like o2 sensors, TPS, etc etc).

Mine paid for itself the first time I needed to use it...and it stays with me at all times.

It went off on its own...either a good sign or a very bad sign...I will invest in a scanner...$179.99. I can split it 3 ways with everyone in my family that has a car... :)

Back