• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JKS swaybar disco problem

meatplow5150

NAXJA Forum User
I have been using zip ties to secure my discos but constantly have to replace them because when my tires are at full-stuff and turned slightly, the side lugs on my tires are grabbing the disco and breaking the zip tie. On one side, it actually popped one of the spherical bushings out, lost on the trail somewhere. I drove home 6 hrs from Tahoe without them due to this and don't really like the feel. I like the swaybar on-road but am fed up with the issues I'm having.:(
Has anyone else had problems like this? If so, how did you resolve them?
I would remove the swaybar as a last resort only.

Specs: '92 Limited 4dr.
~5 in. lift
33" SSR's
Backspacing ~4 in (I think, will measure when I get home)

What about this from DPG Offroad?
DiscoCables2.jpg

If your tires are running into your hardware you need to consider adjusting the steering stops and/or bump stops to limit that contact.

If your tires are running into your hardware you need to consider adjusting the steering stops and/or bump stops to limit that contact.
x2
Do you notice this issue on the passenger side only? do you have an adjustable track to re-center your axle? If not, 5" definitely requires an adjustable track bar. that would be the first issue I'd address.

I use the same type of setup, but i took the metal s hooks out of rubber staps and use them to hook the discos' up.

bungee cord cut to length,

personally i would not have gotten this setup, but i have it now.... sucks big time to hammer on and off with a mallet and block of wood.

a buddy uses the adjustable rubber tree ties, works good for him... the kind you see on new trees that are staked to .... stakes. allows the ties to be tread through the center of the tie and hold a decent amount of weight and will flex. (home depot or similar store)

acrid said:
sucks big time to hammer on and off with a mallet and block of wood.

Really? Never noticed that with mine....

fizassist said:
Really? Never noticed that with mine....

yeah, mine are super tight, more on the passenger's side than the driver's, but still tight, i guess better tight than loose... right? :eeks1:
(really only a problem in winter time, summer i can usually muscle it on/off)

Does it have anything to do with the lower portion of the disconnect mount? Talking about the bracket where you pressed the splined bolt out from. I've heard several people complain about the same thing you are but you can remedy the situation by bending that bracket a bit. Not sure what the deal is as I've not personally seen it...just read about it. I'm getting ready to help a buddy install his JKS's this week and that's the only issue I've heard with them.

riverfever said:
Does it have anything to do with the lower portion of the disconnect mount? Talking about the bracket where you pressed the splined bolt out from. I've heard several people complain about the same thing you are but you can remedy the situation by bending that bracket a bit. Not sure what the deal is as I've not personally seen it...just read about it. I'm getting ready to help a buddy install his JKS's this week and that's the only issue I've heard with them.

yeah, where the post is located on the bracket locks it right against the axle tube/trackbar mounting brackets, from a design pov, this is terrible considering the fix is way to easy, one or two more inches and it would be fine, instead i have metal on metal contact... yeah bending it would help, but reduce the strength since it has a reinforcement ridge tapered into the center of the bracket, don't really want to mess that all up, not worth the risk.

Another issue I have is that the mounting for the swaybar on the topside seems to loosen up no matter how tight i crank it down even with locktite, personally i hate allen wrenches and having an allen wrench bolt located inside the inside of the top of the disco, just plain sucks. I will be replacing those the next time i need to beat on something and release some angst.
raaaaaaaaaaaarrrhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

I'd bend it. I just read several archived threads yesterday and more than one person bent it slightly and reported no ill effects. I'm anxious to see if I run into that problem when I help out on Friday.

I was going to bend mine (I have what looks like the Teraflex variety), as my passenger side disco seems to hang up on the steering stabilizer bracket.

I have since changed my mind - I picked up a 2.5-lb mini sledge late last week (didn't have time to bend it), and used that to tap them on and off.

It worked so well that I may just keep doing it that way.

I was thinking about those DPG tie-ups as well (the teraflex retainer straps are nice, but the hooks that they provide are less than worthless), but I can't help but wonder how much it takes for those snap-hooks to sieze up when exposed to mud/salt/snow/ice/etc.

Rob

Rob Mayercik said:
I was thinking about those DPG tie-ups as well (the teraflex retainer straps are nice, but the hooks that they provide are less than worthless), but I can't help but wonder how much it takes for those snap-hooks to sieze up when exposed to mud/salt/snow/ice/etc.

Rob
i had the same concern. so i made my own and used a hook on both ends so i can completely remove them when not in use and i can clean them off when they get dirty

If the JKS discos are supposed to be so good, why don't they come with relocator brackets like RE Gen 2's. If they do, Why does no one use them?

This is not a smart ass question. I just keep seeing this question come up here.

XJLaredo said:
If the JKS discos are supposed to be so good, why don't they come with relocator brackets like RE Gen 2's. If they do, Why does no one use them?

This is not a smart ass question. I just keep seeing this question come up here.
they do. but according to the instuctions that came with mine, they can't be used on xj's.

FitchVA said:
they do. but according to the instuctions that came with mine, they can't be used on xj's.

Mine came with them and they do work on XJ's as long as you have the OEM steering skid plate. They have to mount to it. Turns out mine interfered with my tires at full lock on both sides, a fact that I found out after one was bent beyond repair by a tire lug. The thing that "I" am finding about the JKS discos is that for my lift/tire size, I either have to seriously limit my steering radius with the steering stops, or I have to seriously limit the up-travel on my front suspension, in order for the tires to not run into them when stowed off-road. I like the look of the RE Gen 2's since they can be stowed much higher. Due to the design of the JKS' they can only be stowed folded under the swaybar arm and being as thick as they are, they get end up getting in the way (for me, at least).

Back