• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lining up Axle with a 6.5 inch lift and LongArms.

dgsmith7

NAXJA Forum User
Well here it goes! Just started my homebrew longarm build. I've taken everything apart and now I am reassembling, I've got the mounts for the arms attached just before the cross member now what would be the best way to setup the axle? the springs are already in. I've tried to center the axle and then jack it up and attach the arms, but that is just proving to be a PITA, ideas.
Thanks

This is an idea that I've had running around in my head for a while. Please post pics, arm design, etc. As for your problem, is the issue with getting both the upper and lower mounts to line up? please specify what you can't get lined up. What exactly seems to be happening to prevent it from lining up?

well the axle is completly free except fot the coils, when I jack up the axle it seems to turn forward making it hard to line up the long arms. I don't have a camera, but I will try to get some pics.
Thanks

Put a big pipe wrench on the axle. Use your floor jack to jack up the pipe wrench. That will rotate the axle to line up the holes. You can also use a highlift to pull/push it from the trackbar, bumper, or LCA mount. Gotta get creative. When in doubt, get the hi-lift out!!!

Illustrations:

DSC03019.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

I would take the coils out. Its pretty tough to keep the axle from rotating with nothing holding it in place. With 6.5" coils and long arms, you should be ale to just jack up the body, or opposite side of the axle and put the coils back in after the arms are attached.

I tried to do the same thing as you when I switched from short arms to long arms, I figured if I left everything in place and just changed the arms there wouldn't be an issue. But when I took the passenger side arms out to put the 1 lower arm in, the axle started to rotate and it almost shot the coil out the front. Not worth the risk.

Back