• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door handle question

matfud04

NAXJA Forum User
Will the door handles from the older body style cherokee (96 and older) fit on the new body style cherokee? I was considering putting the older style chrome handles on my jeep (i think they look better), but every place I look says they only work on 84-96 XJs. Anyone make them work?

matfud04 said:
Will the door handles from the older body style cherokee (96 and older) fit on the new body style cherokee? I was considering putting the older style chrome handles on my jeep (i think they look better), but every place I look says they only work on 84-96 XJs. Anyone make them work?
Yes they will and vice versa. You have to use the 97+ backing plate for the handle though. You'll understand when you get it all apart. Yes, it will work though, the holes are the same.

Are the chrome ones metal? I thought they were chrome plated plastic! All mine are the black plastic. Oh yeah, when they fail, do they break without damage to the door?

sjx40250 said:
Are the chrome ones metal? I thought they were chrome plated plastic! All mine are the black plastic. Oh yeah, when they fail, do they break without damage to the door?
Yes, the chrome ones are metal.

Anyone selling a set of 4 chrome handles from an XJ (at a reasonable price and in excellent shape (no scratches))?

RenixPower said:
Yes, the chrome ones are metal.

And in winter, your gloves may or may not freeze to them, depending on how wet they are.

Your skin will, regardless.

I have a 2000 and a 1991, the metal handles on the 91' WILL freeze shut. However, since they lack the "ear" above the thumb button, unsticking it is a simple matter of thwacking it with the heel of your palm.

Important note: If you develop a habit of "Thwacking" the button with your palm when it is frozen shut, try to remember not to do it on the new style handle. That just hurts.

Of course if you should be so lucky to have a garage, or live in a snow free climate, this is not a problem for you; and I envy you with a passion.

matfud04 said:
Anyone selling a set of 4 chrome handles from an XJ (at a reasonable price and in excellent shape (no scratches))?

I have a set I'd be willing to straight up trade for your black ones. I'll check tomorrow for scratches and stuff, but if you're interested, PM me.

Back