• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good idea? bad idea? ok idea?

mike5097

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone had ever tried making thier own suspension lift shackles.

Has anyone ever done it? thought about doing it?

And what materials did you use?

yeah, a friend of mine needed some shackles for his MJ. It sat taller in the front which was a little unexpected after a springover. It was a total 4.0 AW4 242 conversion and he was tapped cash wise. The solution? Bolt a stock XJ shackle to an MJ shackle and burn them together. Worked perfect.

i run the rro shackle and i have a friend who runs the TNT both are very well made and work well

ok im new to jeeps. and ive never lifted a rig. can you explain some things to me?

- i want a 2 inch lift. will i have to get the shackle and the u-bolt eliminator to achive this?

mike5097 said:
ok im new to jeeps. and ive never lifted a rig. can you explain some things to me?

- i want a 2 inch lift. will i have to get the shackle and the u-bolt eliminator to achive this?

The U bolt eliminator is kind of worthless unless you are swapping in a different axle, IMO.

Add a XJ second leaf to your stock pack, it should get you where you want.

mike5097 said:

just get the rro shckle it'll get ya a 1.5" lft

CanMan said:
The U bolt eliminator is kind of worthless unless you are swapping in a different axle, IMO.

Add a XJ second leaf to your stock pack, it should get you where you want.

alrighty then. exactly what i wanted to know. thank you.

I modified my stock shackles to make them 6" eye to eye instead of 3". Provided 1.5" of lift and was very easy to do. I have been running them for several years. I welded steel to the stock shackle to extend them and put a center bar between the to sides to help stop them from flexing too much.

There is nothing wrong with building your own shackles as long as you have safe materials and welding capabilities.

Michael

Back