• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

parked it for a week now "no start" HELP

Strictly.Offroad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys looking for some advice. Went on my honeymoon last week and we parked my 88 4.0 in the garage for a week. Started when I left, not any more. The battery is good and is the starter. Yes I do have gas in the tank 1/2 tank. The motor turns over but not start up. ;( Any ideas are super helpful. Need it to start by Wednesday so I can get too work. Thanks guys.

cps, try disconnecting its wiring harness and reconnect.
also pull the coil wire off the coil and distributor cap and reconnect.

engine needs three things to start and run:

1. fuel-- verify it's getting it by trying a shot of starting fluid (ether) and see
if it starts.
2. air-- very slim chance it's not getting any
3. correctly timed spark-- if it did not start with the starting fluid, pull a plug
wire and hold it about 1/4" from the engine block. have the other
half of your new family crank the engine for at least three revo-
lutions and look for a sharp blue spark.

report back with findings and we'll go from there:repair:
--Shorty

P.S. congradulations on the wedding

What 89xj said..... check your cps. When you first turn key to "on" position, do you hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds? Pull the distributor wire at the cap and put a phillips screwdriver in the line to place next to ground and have the new misses turn the starter over while looking for a BLUE spark going to ground. Plug and unplug the CPS connector after carefully inspecting the wire for meltdown and abrasion.

pull the wire off the top of the Dis cap that comes from the coil. Stick a screwdriver in it and ground it to the top of ac compressor bolt. got spark?
edit. Lodi already said it. Also do a search on Ballist Resistor

are you getting spark from coil? If the cks is good, and no spark, a bad coil is likely

Back