• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HEAD BOLTS AND PUSH RODS

VAwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I am currently rebuilding my 4.0L and have finially gotten it back from the machine shop.:cheers: I have been able to find all of the parts necessary to do the rebuild except for the head bolt and push rods. Could someone please help me find these. I have searched everywhere. I have tried all of the local auto parts stores to avail. The only place I have found them is the Stealership. I called them about the head bolts and they told me that they would have to order them and they would cost me $85!Just for the head bolts! HOLLY :soapbox: !!As soon as I heard thier price on the bolts I didn't even ask about the puch rods. If anyone out there can help me out I would greatly appreciate it:worship: .

got nuthin' better for ya on the head bolts-- except I reused mine without issue.
push rods= Sealed Power #RP3275
AE Clevite #2154273

range in price, but about $3.00ea on average

--Shorty

Advance/Discount carries the headbolts and the pushrods, you just have to have a good parts guy who knows how to get to them. When I worked there about 2yrs ago I ordered a set to rebuild my engine, so I know they exist. If you still have problems get ahold of Dino Savy on JU and he'll find them for you.

Cylinder head screws can be reused once without incident - if they've been reused, they should have paint marks on the heads.

I believe you can find new ones at www.headbolts.com (Google them?) for rather less than OEMR. I've been kicking around ideas to use socket heads or SAE Grade 8 or L9, but I haven't been able to experiment yet - so it's not recommended. But, I'm sure you can check online and find OEM quality screws.

Pushrods should be rather easier.

Tampa_XJ said:
Advance/Discount carries the headbolts and the pushrods, you just have to have a good parts guy who knows how to get to them. When I worked there about 2yrs ago I ordered a set to rebuild my engine, so I know they exist. If you still have problems get ahold of Dino Savy on JU and he'll find them for you.

I have tried Advance Auto and had no luck. I am sure they exist at just about all of the parts stores but the people working in them, (how do I say?) Don't seem to be the most knowledgable people.

What is "JU"?:confused:

5-90 said:
Cylinder head screws can be reused once without incident - if they've been reused, they should have paint marks on the heads.

I believe you can find new ones at www.headbolts.com (Google them?) for rather less than OEMR. I've been kicking around ideas to use socket heads or SAE Grade 8 or L9, but I haven't been able to experiment yet - so it's not recommended. But, I'm sure you can check online and find OEM quality screws.

Pushrods should be rather easier.

I thought about trying to go the grade 8 route as well but I just don't have the nerve to do it. This is the first engine I have rebuilt without the guidance of someone more experienced than I. So I really don't want to screw it up.

I also thought about trying to reuse them but had been advised not to since I don't know if they have been reused before or not. I just bought the jeep in March and the motor was blown when I got it. Thanks for the input.

Try these guys - http://headbolts.com/amc.html They also carry ARP, and ARP tends to stop selling to people they find selling shonky hardware. A set runs $42.95, for the head screws.

For the flexplate screws - don't skimp. They're "place bolts," and that makes them a little more difficult to find. The head is significantly different from the regular hex head you're used to, and there are reasons. (For starters, place bolts are designed to be loaded in shear, as opposed to the usual tension load.) The head also has a bit lower profile - because they're a bit pressed for space there...

You'll spend a little extra for them (I've known some outfits like Quality Farm & Fleet to carry place bolts...) but it's worth it to do the job right.

For the head screws - if you're not sure if they've been used before, replace them outright. It's worth peace of mind...

VAwheeler said:
I have tried Advance Auto and had no luck. I am sure they exist at just about all of the parts stores but the people working in them, (how do I say?) Don't seem to be the most knowledgable people.

What is "JU"?:confused:

I am currently a manager for advance outside of Atlanta..you can give me a call tomorrow and I can give you all the info, you will need and even get your local store to order them for you...I will be there until 3 pm #706-235-9667
Don't hesitate to call if you still need help tomorrow. Name is MATT

mgreen84 said:
I am currently a manager for advance outside of Atlanta..you can give me a call tomorrow and I can give you all the info, you will need and even get your local store to order them for you...I will be there until 3 pm #706-235-9667
Don't hesitate to call if you still need help tomorrow. Name is MATT

Thanks Matt you were a great help!!:worship:

Factory recommends that head bolts be used no more then 2 times. Why because there is no piratical way of marking them more then once.
A head bolt IS a SHOLDERED grade 8 bolt. Being normally used in a manner well within intended spec of a grade 8 bolt. Reuse or really re torque the bolt up to 5 TIMES.
Check head and block to be flat. EVEN if it was just rebuilt.
CLEAN the bolts and holes WELL.
Torque in steps.
Start with center bolts working out in a expanding circle.
After a few times of the engine getting up to temp and cooling
Retorque head.
The factory and most shops don't re torque. They say it's no longer needed. Really they play the numbers. Retorgue only helps in a few cases. They believe if they have to redo 2 or 3 head gaskets a year. It's a lot of time saved over re torquing ever head.
Do you want to play the numbers? Or re torque.

Thanks for the info bardon. I will be sure and retorqe them. BTW I did have the machine shop check and make sure that the head and the block were completely flat and everything was okay.

VAwheeler said:
Thanks Matt you were a great help!!:worship:

No problem, let me know if there is a problem with any of the info I gave you

headbolts.com is a good source but one of the sales guys told me they were going to stop carrying either the 4.2 or the 4.0 headbolt sets...I can't remember which... 4.0 head bolts are torque to yield and designed to stretch when they are torqued down. I wouldn't reuse a set more than once...

Back