• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" Ruff Country Lift

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
OK guys,after days and days of reading and don't want to drop a ton of money into my XJ for a small lift,I am looking to buy a kit from a menber here.What he has is a 3" ruff country kit in the box.
Now,my xj is a 1999 with auto transmission.It does need tires and I would like to put some 31x10.5x15(keep the stock rims).Yes rubbing will happen as for as what I read.The offroad use I will be doing is flat ground,buckshot mud.Not bad most of the time till later into the hunting season.This is a second used car for me,not my full time one.I will be driving it on the road,with no problems about lifting it in the state.
So,anyone can point me in the right direction on this lift kit,problems installing it?I did do a search and read what was there,just looking for any up dates.Also,I had read that a sye will be needed for vibration.What I had read here was all xj's built after 1996 needs them.Is that true or not?
Thanks for any info or heads up,I will be spraying PB blaster today and every day till I am ready to install this kit.Oh,this jeep is clean,never been offroad.Lucky find in this neck of the woods.
Thanks!

I'll hold back my comments on the kit itself....

The 31s will rub on stock wheels, but there are some things you can do to stop this. You can use LCAs from a WJ, they have a bend in them for clearance. You could also just adjust the steering stops so they don't rub, but you will sacrifice turning radius. And of course you could get new wheels.

As far as the installation goes, your taking the best first step with the PB already. Everything else depends on what version of the kit you have (Ex: AAL, Block, Shackle, etc...).

You may or may not need a SYE, a T-case drop may be enough. But you should budget for a SYE and DS just in case.

Thanks trailreadyxj.The kit does have a aal.I don't carry any weight other then hunting gear and my buddy"Missy"my dog.I only have to drive around 15 miles on road were I hunt.I will be using it around the house checking cows and horses too.

as for the ruff country lift i dont have one but was goin to put the 4.5" in my xj never did so cant comment much on it but as for the sye i can comment i have a 96 2 door xj with 4.5" of lift no sye no tcase drop nuttin works great no drive line noise or vibes at all i run 31 x 10.5 and that is the only noise and vibe i get. my advise is to put in the three inch run it for a while and if you find that you are havin troubles put in a 1/2 " tcase drop a little goes a long way. Good luck and Happy trails:thumbup:

Back