• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's all needed to go full width??

hockey10588

NAXJA Forum User
I might be able to get my hands on a pair of dana 44's complete front and rear for $150. Is it worth it? I know I'm going to tank my rear d35 soon so I'm wondering whats all needed to swap these in?

I can do most of the grinding and cleaning them up myself and I might have a buddy that can weld all the new perches for free. besides new mounts and steering what else do I need? will I need new driveshafts? can I get cheapie shafts at a junk yard that are the correct length? also I know I'm gunna need new rims.... anything I'm missing?

Have you really thought through what it takes to correctly install suspension bracketry on a front axle? Are you going to cut said brackets off of your old Dana 30? How about steering and Panhard bar?

To do this correctly requires a lot of time and planning, and meticulous execution, since your life depends on the quality of your design and execution. Think it through carefully and take your time.

Id convert the front d44 to 8lug outers. use a Chevy flat top knuckle for a high steer arm. Get new 760 Ujoints, may need non neckdown shafts, Gears, lockers, may need hubs if it has flanges, The d44's may be a 1310 Ujoint same as your d30 probibly shorter then stock. $200 in steering, some $$$ for suspension brackets.

Get a d60,d70 or 14bolt full float rear, a d44 rear is not much different then the d35 you have, shafts are not much different, Ring and pinnions are close in size, both are semi-floaters.

Do you want an upgrade or just wider?

Back