• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap transfercase????

blainemyers

NAXJA Forum User
i was wondering if there are any low range transfercases i can swap out for my np231, cause i dont want to have to put new ring and pinion in! plus i want to keep the 3.07 gears or what ever it has in it for highway driving

Atlas, Stak, 241 from a Rubicon, put a 4 low kit in your 231, add a Klune V or whatever.... There's tons of choices. Do some reseach and decide what your goals are.

blainemyers said:
i was wondering if there are any low range transfercases i can swap out for my np231, cause i dont want to have to put new ring and pinion in! plus i want to keep the 3.07 gears or what ever it has in it for highway driving

There are a couple of options for you -
Get a "low range" gearset for your NP231 - Tera Low, for instance (there may be others.)
Get a Dana 300 and adapter for your transmission - it's gear-driven, and you can also get low-range kits for it.
Get a STaK or an Atlas. Spendy, but you'll get three or four gear ranges out of it.

If you have an auto, you probably have 3.55 gears (which are rather well matched to the AW4.) If you have a stick (AX-15 or BA-10/5, depending on year,) you have 3.07:1 gears - which are a mistake. Not yours - the factory.

Gearing in the manual gearboxes is probably better suited to either 3.55 or 3.73:1 (depending on tyre size,) but fifth gear is useless with 3.07:1 gearing in either gearbox. "Best cruise" for the AMC242 engine happens up around 2500-2800rpm, and you're not going to get there with 3.07 gears unless you like driving 90mph or so. (Even if you do, I'm sure the local constabulary doesn't want you to do it anyhow...)

One of these days, I'll be yanking out my own 3.07 axles and replacing them with 3.55 gears - if I don't go Dana 44 and 4.10 or 4.56 before then.

Back