• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep took a drink!!!

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
so last weekend I went nose first in too deep of water and sucked in about a cup of water. As the engine started to stall I shut it off and got pulled back to camp. I will post pics if i can get them from my friend. We dried everything out pulled the plugs and cranked the engine, no water there.

We then replaced the air filter, spark plugs, oil and oil filter. I drove it about 15-20 miles and replaced the oil and oil filter again the next day. This time I ran 4 quarts straight through to flush out and "bad" oil.

It has been running fine all week, about 800 miles. drove to the store this morning and everything was fine then I just went out and it wont turn over. :bawl:

I just hear a single click from the starter and not even a little turn for the engine. When I shut down the engine everything seemed fine.

I would think that it is a starter issue? and am praying it is not a problem with the engine. Just looking for some words of wizdom.

its probably the starter, pull it off and take it to the parts store to have it tested. starters, alternators, anything electrical corrodes when it gets wet. it might have just had some moisture left over in it from getting dunked. easy fix but not cheap :D

Whack the starter with a 2x4 a few times, see if that works.

Sounds like the starter solenoid is getting stuck. A whack or two with a blunt object should get it to work, but it will keep sticking so start looking to replace it.

First post btw.....Hi everyone!

happened to me last week. except my alternator died right away. id go with pulling that first and checking the connections. did you try to jump it? thats what a low battery does for me.

I hit it a few times and tryied to start it and it did the same thing so i hit it a little harder and went to try it again and no power to anything!!!

I waited a few seconds and I had power again and then now no power after trying to start it.

i still think its a jammed solenoid on the starter. take it off and have it tested its only a couple bolts.

Take off the starter, ground the body of the starter, and lightly touch a positive wire straight from the battery to the main connector(s) of the starter. If it runs, then you got a good starter. If it doesnt run, go buy a rebuilt starter.

I put the battery back in and was going to work on the starter and it fired up no problem. restarted it about 5-6 times with no trouble from the starter, although I agree with you Grimm that it may be on its way out soon.

would the absence of power to the jeep have anything to do with the starter?

Anytime you have ELC/starting problem about the first thing you should do is CLEAN THE POST. That fixs 60 % of the starting problem I have seen. Then run a voltage check on battery (key off) then Voltage check running. That will tell you more were to look for problem. Cheep multimeter from RS will do fine for this.

Last edited:
Follow badron's advice. The description in your posts sound exactly like corrosion at the battery terminals. Also check your battery cables at the clamps for any sign of internal corrosion.

I had the exact same thing happen this past Friday after hosing off the front suspension. I knew that my battery and connections were good because I have replaced everything recently. I turned on my headlights and I only had minimal dimming when I hit the key and got my click. I hosed the starter down with electronics contact cleaner, although WD40 would work just as well, to displace water, and rapped it with a hammer.........nothing. I repeated the process a couple more times and it fired up. No problems since.

It wouldn't hurt to take the starter apart and clean it out, then regrease it. I did that after dunking my engine bay; I couldn't believe how much sand/gunk had gotten in there.

Back