• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does Low pressure a/c switch have a shrader valve?

RWD

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to find out from someone that has done it, if the low pressure a/c switch does in fact have a shrader valve. I would perfer not to release all of my Freon. Thanks for the help!!

It's supposed to. However, I found out the hard way that aftermarket a/c installed by the dealer may not. I managed to dump a friends freon in the parking lot. As soon as we started unscrewing the sensor it started blowing freon and tightening the sensor back down didn't stop it since it pushed out the o-ring. On the plus side, you can buy a R134a freon pretty cheap and refill yourself if needed.

Why do you think the low pressure sensor is bad? Have you verified that the system has a proper charge first?

Oil can Henry tested freon levels and they showed fine. I am told the switch is a common failure. Jumping out the switch will kick in the compressor and cold air in side. Any other ideas?

If the freon pressures look fine and the low-pressure switch isn't kicking on , then yeah it's probably the switch. Sometimes people think it's the switch because it runs when they jump it, but the real problem is a very low freon charge.

lawsoncl said:
On the plus side, you can buy a R134a freon pretty cheap and refill yourself if needed.

not everywhere. here in wisconsin it sits on the shelf for looks only. you can't buy it unless you are licensed. good thing i still have a few cans left over from when i lived in georgia. then again it doesn't matter since i ripped out all of my a/c equipment.

Just did a bit of googling and it's true. I don't think it's just R134a either, as Envirosafe claims they can't ship there either. http://www.befreetech.com/envirosafe.htm

They also have this on their page:

"The MSDS dated 11-04-02 from Dupont’s 134a indicates that exposure to 134a has been shown to be associated with the production of tumors on the testicles in animal inhalation studies."

Back