• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

offset front wheels/ rubbing....

jeepmedicNB

NAXJA Forum User
Hello there folks, I have a 97 XJ with 3.5" lift with 31" inso tires. otherewise stock. When I am ina parkinglot/trails doing tight turns the wheels rub on something, "control arms or whatever" I am aware that I need to offset the front wheels to cure this. Does this mean I NEED new rims with offset? Or is their a cheaper do it yourself method to fixing this problem?

THanks again,
Just another Newbie

Cheapest: Adjust your steering stops.
2nd: Wheel spacers.
3rd: Steel Wheels with proper backspacing.(this maybe cheaper than GOOD spacers, don't use cheap spacers if you go that route.)
4th: search using keyword "backspacing"

HTH

Agreed. Personally, I would not limit my steering ability and use some spacers. Not only will they fix this problem, your Jeep will be more stable by making it wider. Win/Win situation in my opinion. Our crew runs Weird Harold's. Good quality spacers for sure. check 'em out here :thumbup:

UprightXJ said:
Agreed. Personally, I would not limit my steering ability and use some spacers. Not only will they fix this problem, your Jeep will be more stable by making it wider. Win/Win situation in my opinion. Our crew runs Weird Harold's. Good quality spacers for sure. check 'em out here :thumbup:

He could buy 5 new properly backspaced rims for less than he could buy 4 of those spacers.

New rims is the answer IMHO.

great info guys, Well I would probably rather buy offset rims and widen the rig out, those spacers are more expensive then I thought... Where would I locate offset rims? any good companies in canada I could deal with? And how much offset would i need?
Thanks again for your time, I'll be turning sharp in no time.....

Curtis G
97 XJ 4.0 standard
94 volvo 850 turbo

i dont no about shops in canada but for you id go with a 4.25" backspace, or even a 4", less if you want it but i dont see the need.

or, you can go to a junk yard if you have one near you (i dont) and pull some zj control arms IIRC they are the same length but have the bend in them so you wont rub.

good luck, try quadratec im sure they ship to canada.....maybe

jeepmedicNB said:
great info guys, Well I would probably rather buy offset rims and widen the rig out, those spacers are more expensive then I thought... Where would I locate offset rims? any good companies in canada I could deal with? And how much offset would i need?
Thanks again for your time, I'll be turning sharp in no time.....

Curtis G
97 XJ 4.0 standard
94 volvo 850 turbo

www.nsor.com (North Shore Offroad)
Get the Xtreme Rock Crawlers by Pro Comp and I'd recommend a 4.5" backspace. i think the rims will run you about $90/per shipped wheel. (guestimate)
So to sum it up: 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern with ... your decision on BS.
Note: The lower the number, the greater the backspace.

do you have an adjustable tracbar? if not, your front axle won't be centered, and could make it rub on one side.

He could buy 5 new properly backspaced rims for less than he could buy 4 of those spacers.

New rims is the answer IMHO.

Yeah, I was only thinking about the spacers at the time. It is a better idea to just go with new rims for the cost. Check out Eagle Alloy rims as well. We like them simply because they are aluminum (better balanced than steel in most cases, and don't rust) and they are cost effective (if you scratch one up wheeling, replacing it is not so steep). No matter what back spacing (4" is a good place to be), stick with a 15" rim and don't listen to the guys at the tire/wheel shops that tell you to use a 10" wide rim on 12.5" wide tires.

The 15" rim size gives you more options in tires with the right load range (C) for the Jeep. Most all 16" Dia. tires are a load range D or E, which is designed for a 1 ton truck. The result: thicker, stiffer side wall that rides rough and doesn't flex as well for traction when aired down off-road. As far as the rim width goes, you want to be at 8" wide for a 12.5" wide tire. The result: When you air down the wheel holds the tire bead better (you can air down more without loosing a bead/tire going flat) and the wheel is more recessed in the tire, so there is less chance of scraping it against a tight obstacle. I personally run the 35x13.5x15 Toyo Open Country M/T's with still an 8" wide rim.

do those wheel spacers effect wheel bearings or axles (ie increase wear and tear)? thx

My XJ has been lifted and running 2" spacers for about a year now, giving me an effective backspacing of 2 1/2". I have lost one u-joint cap from both my driver and passenger side axle shafts. I have also had to replace my ball joints (they had 140,000 miles on them,though, and needed replaced anyway). I now have replaced my axle shafts in the front and tac-welded the u-joint caps. Because of the amount of time My Jeep has had this setup, it is not possible for me to say the spacers are the issue. If I have continued problems in this area, that will be cause for concern.

do you have an adjustable tracbar? if not, your front axle won't be centered, and could make it rub on one side.

Most definitely. With 3.5" of lift, an adj. track bar is a must for centering the axle/restoring the proper suspension geometry, and keeping the passenger side from rubbing, when turning, on control arms and the sway bar.

Back