• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proper towing of Jeep

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98' Sport XJ Automatic. 4x4 with the AW4 tranny.
I want to know the proper way to tow this vehicle on a Tow Dolly.
Should I just place it in Neutral on the shift selector? Or place the transfer case in Neutral? Or both in Neutral?

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think there is a proper way to tow this on a dolly without disconnecting the rear driveshaft. It can be flat-towed with the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in gear, but if the front driveshaft is not turning, the output end of the TC will not get lubrication and the bearing will cook. I'm away from home and left my owner's manual behind too, so I can't check that. But as I recall, flat towing is preferred for XJ's.

Matthew Currie said:
disconnect the rear driveshaft.

do it that way, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cant do wrong

tranny in park..t-case in neutral.

The t-case has an oil pump driven by the rear output shaft. it will be driven by the rear axle. yer good to go!

I have warn hubs and have yet to cook my front output shaft... on the road nothing forward of my TC turns...when in 2WD

Digger87xj said:
tranny in park..t-case in neutral.

The t-case has an oil pump driven by the rear output shaft. it will be driven by the rear axle. yer good to go!

So I don't have to disconnect the driveshaft? And I can still use a tow dolly and not a full car trailer?

bustednutz said:
So I don't have to disconnect the driveshaft? And I can still use a tow dolly and not a full car trailer?

I would check the owner's manual first. I have no manuals here with me, but I am pretty sure that it warns against towing that way, and that the reason is that the TC is not properly lubricated when the output shaft turns alone.

I've seen it say two thing in the owners manual.
On earlier models you must disconnect the driveshaft, on laste models it can be left in neutral. Apparently the early models nuetral still locked the shafts together, so the front would turn with the rear if you dragged it. On later models it seems they fixed that problem. The owners manual should say.

from the98 owners manual:internal damage will occur if front or rear wheel lift is used to tow to flat tow, shift tranny to neutral, transfer case to neutral,than put auto transmission back into park (I presume after you shift transfer case to N) also says to stop every 50 miles and start engine to ensure lube of related bearings and bushings sounds like put all 4 wheels on a trailer or disco the d-shaft

Back