• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

metal work help and training...

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
a friend of mines son asked if i would help his friend with his xj and i said sure, when the kid came over i asked what the proablem was. the kid said he had a small styeering issue and that it took almost a full turn of the wheel before the jeep would turn. i instantly thought ok, the kids steering box bolts are loose, tighten them up and he will be on his way. so i grab the 15mm socket and drop to my knees and check the bolts, he says he needs the jeep for school in the morning. the bolts are tight! what the heck, i grab the drop light and take a look, he has a couple of cracks, ok, i will weld them up temporarily and tell the kid to come back in a week when he has time to let me fix it right by plateing the frane and patching the split welds, he says ok no proablem, that was six months ago.

i have the jeep in my garage now and none of my repair welds have cracked again but this is what i have to fix now after he went jeepspeed on the repairs
100_0105.jpg

100_0106.jpg

100_0109.jpg

100_0110.jpg

100_0112.jpg

100_0114.jpg

so my deal is if any one wants to lend me a hand on saturday and mabi sunday the 2nd and 3rd of june i am willing to help teach as we work together fabing up the plates for the frame and forward cross brace. the kid needs this as soon as possible so it will be a karma thing, and i would appriciate the company. :gee:

My doors still are nice and fine :) I might swing by tomorrow, I'll give ya a call in the morning.

Dude. That is some ugly stuff. Wish I had the time to swing by just for the heck of it, but I don't think I can.

Kyung

I wish I could help Troy......kinda' busy this weekend.
I'll give you a call Saturday night when I get back from BB.
If you still need some help I'll see if I can work some time in.

I don't think I need my Heep by next weekend! ;)

Rick

Progress pics?

my god, those pics definitely show why a steering plate reinforcements are important. I havent seen anything that bad in a long time

i will get pics before i start again today but the inner and outer "frame "rails are plated, i need to plate the underside of the rail and make tie in's to the cross member today. pluss while i was doing the metal fab the kids friends put the 3.5 in coils in the front and 3.5 in AAL in the rear yesterday (the coils should be about the right size, they are a 3" lift for a tj?? oh well, we will see!!)
pics to come in a few.

well i finished all i can do for the kid but it will work for now, take a look
100_0116.jpg

the out side is 1/8 cold rolled plate and the inside and bottom are both 10ga cold roll sheet, almost the same i even made a few L brackets
to tie in the cross member better
100_0118.jpg

well i plated the bottom of the rail as well but i didnt get total finished pics yet, i will post finished pics tomorrow.

the lift came out to a clean 3.5 in the front and 4 in the rear too

thank you to all who offered to come over and play but i went faster than expected and as such i didnt see the replys or pm,s till i was pritty much done,but thank you all the same

Last edited:
Nice job Troy you saved that rig from the junkyard! They could have gotten killed driving it the way it was.

Give the kid a good swift kick in the a$$ for me! This reminds me of the kid in the video that was posted recently of the guys brother going dukes of hazzard on his XJ.

nice work Troy! Did you make a template so you can market it as, "Frame Reinforcement plate for Dummies" :)

djblade311 said:
nice work Troy! Did you make a template so you can market it as, "Frame Reinforcement plate for Dummies" :)
no, like an iddiot, every thing i make is a one off. besides, the rig was so messed up i dont think it would fit any other strait jeeps!! :laugh:

So, question Troy.

Did you even try to get any of the zinc off the frame before you did all that?

Or do you just like the smell?

:D

--ron

Captain Ron said:
So, question Troy.

Did you even try to get any of the zinc off the frame before you did all that?

Or do you just like the smell?

:D

--ron
" I Love the smell of burning ZINK in the morning,....... its the smell of victory!! "

actually no, most of the zink was burned off by the body shop that repaired the "frame" before i got to it the first time, it was just covered in white paint that i wire wheeled off ( but there was a little left there i definately know that ) :D

Back