• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Op's

Prowler

NAXJA Forum User
Just changed my oil and I put just a tad to much in.
Is about a half and inch over the mark bad? Should I lower it before my trip?

burning any yet? white smoke might be an indicator you definitely have too much....

Did you change the filter too?

Yes I changed the filter too. I also replaced my air filter with a KN but it seems to not fit perfect. Should I take it back? it's like it is BARELY to small.
I also but BRX silicone hoses on.

Blaine B. said:
If you have the 4.0 6 quarts is the recommended.
Correct with filter change.

Prowler said:
Yes I changed the filter too. I also replaced my air filter with a KN but it seems to not fit perfect. Should I take it back? it's like it is BARELY to small.

I had the K&N filter for my old 1991 XJ, and it had the same problem. I don't think exchanging it will help; FWIW when I sold the XJ the filter fit perfectly into my brother's TJ airbox. I think it's 'one size fits all 4.0's mentality.

:(

XJPhoenix said:
I had the K&N filter for my old 1991 XJ, and it had the same problem. I don't think exchanging it will help; FWIW when I sold the XJ the filter fit perfectly into my brother's TJ airbox. I think it's 'one size fits all 4.0's mentality.

:(
OK then I wont worry about it. I will just pop it open every once in awhile make sure it hasn't fallen.
and cool on the 6. Thanks all!

Prowler said:
I also but BRX silicone hoses on.

Spread the filter out a little bit on the long ends, it won't hurt it and it will fit better.

You know, I thought the same thing.

My drop in K&N seemed strange in the bottom portion of the airbox - BUT if you test-fit it in the lid portion of the airbox, it fits perfectly.

Try that and see.

When it's all together it's perfect.

Prowler said:
OK then I wont worry about it. I will just pop it open every once in awhile make sure it hasn't fallen.
and cool on the 6. Thanks all!

Not sure about your '91, but my '87 4.0 always took 5.5 quarts to refill with the oil filter change. After I modified my oil filter adapter to take the 1 quart oil filter (instead of the stock 1/2 quart oil filter) mine took 6.0 quarts with the oil filter change. Somewhere along the line I think I recall Jeep increased the stock oil filter size, but don't recall what year it was. The Yuccaman web site has the details on the change over year and filters, oil filter adapter differences between those years.

I had the same problem with the air filter fit, and it did not matter whos brand air filter it was. I tried them all! I finally solved the problem by increasing the flange size with DUCT TAPE!! Then I shopped for a good used air intake box that did not have a warped bottom half of the box. The long side of the bottom seems to warp, or be warped on many air boxes causing poor sealing of the air filter on the bottom half of the box. I did not trust mine to seal so I used duct tape until I finally found a good box.

Back