• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble... I did search, read on.

SeansBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so here's the setup, and what's been done... I have a set of OME 2" coils, extra isolator. RE super ride lower control arms. YJ crossover steering. Ok now all the tie-rod ends are tight and fit. Torqued down on the steering box bolts, all tight and good. Ball joints seem ok to the tire-hand wobble test as do the bearings. Wheels are good on the balance, as is the alingment all good. Track bar was changed with another stock one that does have some miles on it but a new one is on order. Track bar was re located to re center the axle. so what gives? i cant even make it to work anymore.

and any reviews on this http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/tbconversion.html ?

Are you absolutely sure that your front axle is centered? You'd be amazed at how a little difference in the centering of the axle can make a BIG difference in death wobble.....ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Edit: Hows your stabilizer? My OEM was shot to hell and certainly not helping my case...

well its as good as it can get. and ok, i am asking.... oh yes, and an bolt on skyjacker stablizer that was laying around,,, big mother too

SeansBlueXJ said:
well its as good as it can get. and ok, i am asking....
Well, when I put my lift on this past weekend, I kinda eyeballed it and said "ahh hell, it looks centered enough" WRONG!!!

After measuring it again, it was about 1" off center. A quick adjustment, and readjustment of the trac bar, and I was back in business. I'm assuming you've got a adjustable trac bar on order?

I put a Skyjacker stabilizer on mine too....really helped things out.

The centering of the axle has NOTHING to do with DW.
Your steering stabilizer is not the culprit just a mask.

balance them again (this is the basic start to DW).
Rotate them to see if it makes any difference.
What is your castor set at on each side?
Re-check every single bolt, nut, joint, etc.

Once these have all been checked
I would start by replacing your TB. That is the most likely issue.

Michael

2xtreme said:
The centering of the axle has NOTHING to do with DW.
Your steering stabilizer is not the culprit just a mask.

balance them again (this is the basic start to DW).
Rotate them to see if it makes any difference.
Re-check every single bolt, nut, joint, etc.

Once these have all been checked
I would start by replacing your TB. That is the most likely issue.

Michael

i know they are ballanced used another set of tires even to check, still there

every single bolt has been checked 5 times over, belive me! it's scary to not be able to make it home... everything is gone over numerous times... and i have another stock track bar comming. So hopefully that's it, although the one there now is dead solid to the grab-and-pull test.

so it seems nobody has any more suggestions.?? if this track bar does no good... im about ready to head back to stock.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Played a big role inmine...:dunno:

IF your alignment is good, the axle being off center will not play a role in DW.
IF your alignment was not good then that is the reason for the DW not the off centered axle.
Michael

SeansBlueXJ said:
so it seems nobody has any more suggestions.?? if this track bar does no good... im about ready to head back to stock.

Again, if the alignment was done what is the castor set at on each side?
What is the toe set at?

Michael

ok, a bit more info, on the components what i have in my orignal post. I did put the stock stering back on to no change. There is a 1/8" tow in in the alignment. I have added a JKS track bar and now i KNOW my axle is centered, my caster is around -5 to-7 hard to tell just on the driveway but that's about what it's at. I really really think im going back to stock this weekend as i need to get to work and stop borrowing cars. I would rather fix it, but if i cant... i need to do something.

I have death wobble too. The guy at Mumbly's said I need some aftermarket LCAs though, since I'm still using stock ones. Might help, although I don't know. I'm returning to stock until I get a real, full, lift kit. The kind that actually comes with everything needed. I have 3" lift up front with a stock track-bar and stock control arms.

well i do have aftermarket lca's if you read i have re super ride lowers.... still pisses me off... i think it's stock here it comes.

Yeah I did read that. Are those adjustable or fixed? They could be adjusted wrong, I don't know how but that's always a possibility. I'm going back to stock also, for now.

they are fixed, no way's about it, and it's only 2 inches so it pisses me off so. Oh well. ill hang on to the parts for some future date i guess once it comes back down

Well that's been changed now any way, It's now a JKS adjusted corectly. The stablizer was shot, just put an OME one on.. helped, but still there,... I think its all coming off Saturday. I will see if bringing it all back to stock does anything at all.

Back