• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC question

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
ok heres the deal, I am trying to get my ac to work on my 97 sport, the ac is charged, I have tried quite a few things but need some help. The clutch wont engage on the compressor...by the switch, I am not getting power to it. I can manually hard wire it and it will engage fine. In the relay box I have power to one of the four connections(the 4 prong relay) but for some reason I dont have power to the other side to make the connection. Question is where am I not getting the signal passed along to engage? The hih low sensor??? Is this a common problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris:NAXJA:

I'm kind of in the same boat. My AC will work fine for about thirty minutes and then the compressor won't come on. If I unplug the low pressure switch and plug it back in, the compressor will engage and start working again. Is there any way to test the switch?

Hi guys;

I had my a/c compressor replaced and had teh same problem; the clutch would struggle to engage.I a/c repair center resolved this by taking a direct lead from +ve and -ve battery terminals; and connected an additional relay; the wire which was connected to the compressor clutch was also connected to this relay; then a wire from the relay was connected to the compressor.This seems to work fine. Note that a fuse was connected to the +ve wire from the battery.

hope this is useful information.

My only problem now is the alignmnet of the belt on teh pulley.the belt seems to run on the last groove on the pully which is curved and this is causing a ridge on teh belt. any thoughts.

regards
collin

XJ5 said:
I'm kind of in the same boat. My AC will work fine for about thirty minutes and then the compressor won't come on. If I unplug the low pressure switch and plug it back in, the compressor will engage and start working again. Is there any way to test the switch?

I recently had to tighten the female pins on the wiring harness connector on one of the 2 pressure switchs on a 96 Ford Taurus (my sons), seems the newer connectors these days can get loose enough to loose elctrical contact at the switch. Both pressure switches must be working (they are on/off switches so they can be tested with a DVM, with the wiring disconnected just check for continuity / ohms, then test for power to the switch in the disconnected wiring harness using the volts range), and there must be good electrical contact at each switch for the signal to get to the clutch. The blower switch, the AC selector switch on the dash and a relay are all involved in getting power to the clutch. I suggest getting an electrical diagram (FSM) for the AC electricals for your year / model jeep. High or low pressure will keep the pressure switches off, so don't assume it is the pressure switch until you check the refrigerant pressures with a gauge set at the same time as you check the pressure switchs, if the switches are not turning on!

AfricaXJ6,

Belt alignment may be a compressor mounting bracket alignment problem. If it is an after market A/C installation it may just be the way the brackets were made. If it is OEM then either something is bent, or not bolt down straight or properly in the mounting bracket area. What year, engine, and model is it?

I don't think the direct wire method is really a "fix"......there's still a problem somewhere.

It's sort of like a "bypass" I guess you could say.

Like, duct tape and a bag over a shattered window. Not a fix, but it covers up the problem :)

Blaine B. said:
I don't think the direct wire method is really a "fix"......there's still a problem somewhere.

:)
Right, but you must admit it is a DIRECT method, LOL.:D

Back