• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Decisions...... Rusty or RE?

DelmarvaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been surfing NAXJ and JH for several weeks now, I've learned a ton about lifting my 2000 XJ, but I'm confused on which way to go, I'd hope some of you guys might be able to point me in the right direction...:idea: What I would like to do is keep my jeep as a streetable/daily driver, but at the same time hit the sand dunes in my area, and as well handle the mud. I would like to run a 33x12.5x15 wheel/tire combo, the 4.5" RE kit says It will clear a 33x12.5 tire with minimal trimming. But I've been also looking at the long arm kits, RE offers there 5.5" kit and Rusty offers their 6.5" kit/4.5" kit. At the moment I'd rather keep my height at the lowest possible setting to allow me to run a 33x12.5" tire, because of steering geometry issues above 6"...... I thought If i explained my situation to you guys you might be able to point me in the right direction.

So here's a recap: I need a kit that's streetable, can handle sand dunes, a little mud, is the best deal/quality, and will not throw off my steering geometry. thanks guys.

Last edited:
The Skyjacker 6 in. Rock Ready medium arm lift is the best lift for a 2000 XJ without a doubt. It's easy to install and you will love the way it drives. Forget Rusty's and RE...get the Skyjacker.

spedly said:
Call RE tell them you want the 5.5" longarm kit but substitute the springs for the smaller 4.5/3.5" set. They gave me 3.5" springs with my 4.5" longarm for my tj so i could keep the cog down

or

http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index.aspx?sdr=/get.doc.aspx&qs=LD:parts%20List&l=make!model!modelEx&p=Jeep!Cherokee!XJ
If I do something like this, do you still think I would be able to fit 33x12.5" tires? Would I need something like a 1.25" back spacer? Do you guys think that I would have steering geometry problems if I decide to keep the 5.5" height or 6.5" height? thank for the input guys!

Last edited:
steveybass said:
The Skyjacker 6 in. Rock Ready medium arm lift is the best lift for a 2000 XJ without a doubt. It's easy to install and you will love the way it drives. Forget Rusty's and RE...get the Skyjacker.

ROTFL!! Probably the funniest thing ive ever read on this board! I would somewhat agree with the part about staying away from rusty's, but RE makes a far better kit that skyjacker. Thats not my opinion, thats a FACT!

-Jerry

X2 Jerry, skyjacker sucks.......or RE just kicks a$$, but either way
i have the 4.5 RE superflex kit and im running 33x10.50s, if you really want to run 12.50s step it up to the 5.5 RE. I rub...A LOT, the trimming necessary isnt really minimal either....
but i absolutely love the RE, it drives really well on the highway and off-roads like a champ. I also haven't encountered death wobble ever - knock on wood.
ive got a '99, 4.0l xj sport

XJ Coyote said:
X2 Jerry, skyjacker sucks.......
i have the 4.5 RE superflex kit and im running 33x10.50s, if you really want to run 12.50s step it up to the 5.5 RE. I rub...A LOT, the trimming necessary isnt really minimal either....
but i absolutely love the RE, it drives really well on the highway and off-roads like a champ. I also haven't encountered death wobble ever - knock on wood.
ive got a '99, 4.0l xj sport
Thanks XJcoyote, I wanted to hear some personal experiences as well, so I'm leaning towards the RE 5.5" kit, but what's the major difference between the short arm kit vs. Long arm? Is it worth an extra $350 for what I might be doing? I do know you guys always say that long arm kits are 100% better, but I don't understand why? Also it's only $250 less to get the Rusty 6.5" LA kit, Vs. the RE 5.5" LA kit, something to think about also.....

Last edited:
sandmcrew2 said:
ROTFL!! Probably the funniest thing ive ever read on this board! I would somewhat agree with the part about staying away from rusty's, but RE makes a far better kit that skyjacker. Thats not my opinion, thats a FACT!

-Jerry

I'm glad to have helped Jerry laugh so hard, but he clearly reads too many catalogs and doesn't do his homework. I recently attended a Jeepspeed event and at least half of the rigs were using the exact Skyjacker lift I have. Clearly, it's the desire of the participants to break down, so I'm sure that's why they bought what Jerry, the catalog-reading potty-sitter, called an inferior suspension to race on. Maybe ol "Jerry" needs to get off the pooper and actually watch a race before he posts such imbecilic advice based on nothing but what he and his chucklehead buddies decided was fact after reading what some copy writer in 4Wheel Drive Parts wrote in the lastest edition and believing it to be fact.

-Steve (entertainer of Jerry)

sandmcrew2 said:

-Jerry
x3,Skycrapper sucks!RE is good stuff other than their LA kit,look into the RE DB kit or look at the TNT LA's!

RCP Phx said:
x3,Skycrapper sucks!RE is good stuff other than their LA kit,look into the RE DB kit or look at the TNT LA's!

What's wrong with RE's LA kit? When did you have problems with it and what happened? You guys are throwing me in completely different directions, I really have'nt heard anything bad about RE's new equipment. RE's older spring design was inferior, but they change manufacturers... I personally like the design of the Rusty's LA kit, well thought out, but everyone talks up RE...= Confusion.

People run skyjacker because...Its well known. They see it all over the place on f350s and all of that and think to themselves " Must be good, all these guys are using it" I would put a skyjacker sticker on my truck, let alone one of there lifts. Over priced junk. Between RE and rustys, thats tough. A lot of people lik eRUSTYs front springs a little better...they arent as soft if yuor adding winches and bumpers. BUT you will be hard pressed to find a company that make stronger and more reliable parts than RE. Ide go RE, actually...I think I am going RE.

XJ Coyote said:
Also i just double checked and, RE does NOT say you can clear 33x12.50s with the 4.5 - i thought that sounded off...
sorry

Your right, but www.offroadtoystore.com either miss qouted RE, or is missingly buyers..... Here's a qoute from them, but RE's website does say 33x10.5 with minimal trimming.

"This kit transforms Jeep's Cherokee into an amazing off-road performer! The complete system replaces the stock suspension with our top of the line components providing improved flexibility and hardcore capability at a modest price. This system will clear 32x11.50-inch tires and can easily accommodate 33x12.50" tires with minimal trimming.
Note: The installation of a slip yoke eliminator and CV drive shaft on the stock NP231 transfer case is recommended.
***This kit is the same as the 6111 except that it comes with Full Leaf Spring packs instead of the add-a-leafs.
*Lift kits come with FREE DT3000 Shocks! Please see the drop-down menu above for additional shock options.
*Now you can upgrade your Swaybar Disconnects too. Upgrade to the JKS Quicker Disconnects for only $50, or take $40 off for NO Disconnects."

Motorvated said:
I will mention that REs long arm kits for the TJs have been having problems with the ends bending....but thats for TJs, who cares about those :)

LOL thanks for clearing that up, I was a little bit worried about that.

DelmarvaXJ said:
What's wrong with RE's LA kit? When did you have problems with it and what happened? You guys are throwing me in completely different directions, I really have'nt heard anything bad about RE's new equipment. RE's older spring design was inferior, but they change manufacturers... I personally like the design of the Rusty's LA kit, well thought out, but everyone talks up RE...= Confusion.
RE didnt think their design thru before putting it on the market.Its a fricken bolt-up nightmare,it also doesnt work with other manufacturers sliders.They just adapted what they built for the TJ to get something out there and its also way over priced!Put a poll up on who's running what LA kit and youll see very few RE kits!

RCP Phx said:
RE didnt think their design thru before putting it on the market.Its a fricken bolt-up nightmare,it also doesnt work with other manufacturers sliders.They just adapted what they built for the TJ to get something out there and its also way over priced!Put a poll up on who's running what LA kit and youll see very few RE kits!

Okay, then what LA kit do you recommend? Anything wrong with Rusty's LA kit, i'm liking their design.

didnt read everyones posts since it was alot of arguments.... anyways had the 5.5 on 34s with cutouts road awesome great flex offroad, i love the RE kits even though they are a little more than other lifts they give you everything you need and perform great the only other thing youll need to worry about is the SYE and shocks
I also have an RE 4.5XD on my CJ and just love it their leafs are awesome be sure to get the full pack or they wont be as great

Back